• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Afternoon
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Nice day for parkrun today. Didn't make me any faster though.

Apparently ms#3 got punched last night. No idea why, but Mr ms had to give (or lend, with no real expectation of repayment) him some dosh to get his glasses repaired.

Comment

Anyone seen my motivation? I'm sure I had it round here somewhere....

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post
          Morning!

Strong blue mountain coffee for a big day of cooking curry for GF#1's family. Trying to shoehorn in a medium cycle ride at some time as the weather may be quite warm this weekend.

How was the course norrahe?
          Which curry are you making, something from Rasoi Vineet or Cyrus Todiwala?
          "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            It's as if Norrahe was on a very expensive, full time, total immersion Dutch course...
            The Dutch people at breakfast were thrown in for free, they were all doing English and weren't in for full immersion, so I ended up speaking cloggy whether I liked it or not after classes, which on some evenings finished at 9pm.

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Only 2 weeks to grub club now.

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Ugh! Infestation of pantry beetles in my food cupboard

They'd gone to town on a massive scale on an open packet of egg noodles that 's been lying at the back of the cupboard for months - even chewed no end of holes in the packaging. It looked like it was in training to become a sieve.

From there they'd also got stuck in to some open spaghetti, though on nothing like the same scale.

I've emptied the cupboard and chucked anything suspect, including unopened pasta. Apparently they can lay eggs through a tiny hole they make in the packaging, which hatch out ages later, so unless you chuck out all such food there's a chance they'll reappear. Now waiting for the cupboard to dry after a good soaking with cleaning fluid, so I can give it a second wipe over and start putting stuff back.

The weird one that I didn't expect is that the buggers had gone for the chicken Oxo - a packet that's been in there for ages had a few dead ones in the bottom of it, and of the four or five cubes in there, every one had a hole or two chewed through the foil. They'd also apparently gone for some beef ones on a lesser scale, so they've had to go too. And of course the flour and cornflour is too risky to keep, as they could be lurking in there and you'd never see them.

Lots of things are going to be kept strictly in airtight plastic boxes in future

Comment

Stegobium Paniceum, or Biscuit Beetles, appear to be the ones, from the selection available at Common Stored Product Insect Species | Rentokil Pest Control

Ironically, they've not touched any biscuits. I might have noticed them sooner if they had

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                    Stegobium Paniceum, or Biscuit Beetles, appear to be the ones, from the selection available at Common Stored Product Insect Species | Rentokil Pest Control

Ironically, they've not touched any biscuits. I might have noticed them sooner if they had
                    I've given up trying to eradicate the weevils - I think they're gone and the buggers just reappear.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                      I've given up trying to eradicate the weevils - I think they're gone and the buggers just reappear.
                      Yes, I think there's a strong probability they'll be back, but I'm going to try to minimise their options by no longer leaving stuff just sitting in the cupboard, but putting it in sealable boxes.

This should also reduce the incidence of me accidentally knocking a jar of herbs or spices out of the cupboard when getting something else out, which happens once or twice a week at the moment

Comment

Working...
                      X