• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Currently debating whether I should fork out 5k for a language course to boost my cloggy.
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
      Currently debating whether I should fork out 5k for a language course to boost my cloggy.
      Is the problem merely your cloggy or is there a general lack of a market for your skills in clogland....

Would the language course actually fix the must speak cloggy requirement or will agents just find another reason to say no to you....
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

5k EUR? or GBP?

How many weeks course is it?

I looked at options to learn German and the best deal I got was at the Goethe institute in Berlin. A single bedroom apartment thrown into the deal came to 1800 Euroes for 4 weeks. Add food, drink, **%&* etc into is, the total came close to 2500 EUR.

Comment

BTW, why cloggy?!

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
            BTW, why cloggy?!
            It's a reference to the people of the Netherlands' penchant for wearing wooden shoes, clogs cloggy get it?
            Next easy question?

HTH
            I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful. [Christopher Hitchens]

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              Is the problem merely your cloggy or is there a general lack of a market for your skills in clogland....

Would the language course actually fix the must speak cloggy requirement or will agents just find another reason to say no to you....
              Must speak fluent cloggy is the newest excuse.

There's no lack for my skills. It's just the cloggy way of saying "we don't want no stinking foreigners".

Currently trying to sort out getting my CV translated, at least that will get my foot in the door, if they like the CV then the lack of "fluency" shouldn't be a problem.
              "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by GlenW View Post
                It's a reference to the people of the Netherlands' penchant for wearing wooden shoes, clogs cloggy get it?
                Next easy question?

HTH

I meant, why learn Cloggy !

Comment

5k EUR? or GBP?

How many weeks course is it?

I looked at options to learn German and the best deal I got was at the Goethe institute in Berlin. A single bedroom apartment thrown into the deal came to 1800 Euroes for 4 weeks. Add food, drink, **%&* etc into is, the total came close to 2500 EUR.
                  One week, but it's one of the best in the country and gets results.
                  I've already done the intake interviews with them to establish my level and what I want to get out of the course. They did suggest 2 weeks to get my writing up to scratch, but that's a tad rich for me.
                  I can't expense it through the company as it comes under expat tax rulings.

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Must speak fluent cloggy is the newest excuse.

There's no lack for my skills. It's just the cloggy way of saying "we don't want no stinking foreigners".

Currently trying to sort out getting my CV translated, at least that will get my foot in the door, if they like the CV then the lack of "fluency" shouldn't be a problem.
                    Did you put 'French' as your nationality on CV ?

Comment

Did you put 'French' as your nationality on CV ?
                      I could do, given my first name is French and often people them think my surname is as well despite it being very Irish. Used to be fluent in French so confused the hell out of a lot of people telling them I was Irish in perfect French.

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Working...
                      X