• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Answerphone message from mother:

"My computer screen has gone black. I think I've got a virus".

Sounds like I need to go round and wiggle some plugs...
    Good luck. It sounds like you might need it.

I get calls from my dad that begin "This computer that you set up for me..." or "this phone of yours..." because I once gave him an old mobile phone.

He likes to think he's reasonably tech savvy, but he really isn't.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
      Good luck. It sounds like you might need it.

I get calls from my dad that begin "This computer that you set up for me..." or "this phone of yours..." because I once gave him an old mobile phone.

He likes to think he's reasonably tech savvy, but he really isn't.
      My dad used to be pretty much on top of things techwise. He started with a BBC Micro, on which he wrote several books, and which he wasn't averse to opening up to fit new bits of hardware occasionally. And, of course, he had to learn just enough about bits and bytes to be able to send the correct codes to the Epson FX80 printer, in those days before printer drivers.

When he moved on to a PC and WordPerfect running under MSDOS, he stunned me one time by asking if I wanted his old 286 motherboard because he'd fitted a new 486 one

But by the time Windows, and then the Internet, took over, he gave up on anything too technical. He's still pretty savvy - for example, he switched to Firefox years ago because he was aware of the issues with and limitations of IE - but with something like whatever it was that gave him that proxy server issue the other day, he just can't be bothered to spend time learning all he'd need to know to deal with it himself.

Mind you, he's 82, so I don't blame him for wanting to do other things with his time

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        My dad used to be pretty much on top of things techwise. He started with a BBC Micro, on which he wrote several books, and which he wasn't averse to opening up to fit new bits of hardware occasionally. And, of course, he had to learn just enough about bits and bytes to be able to send the correct codes to the Epson FX80 printer, in those days before printer drivers.
        Once we got past playing Snapper v2, that was about it for my dad. He's technically minded, but not IT at all really.

He also has a happy knack of suggesting that my mum might want something, and then it turns out that really, it's for him. eg. "your mother wants a Kindle. Don't know what for, she'll never use it" Now that she has a tablet (with Kindle App installed), the Kindle seems to be his. When they go away, she can't get a look in on the tablet either, because he's trying to pick up BBC news on the wifi on it...
        Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Bugger - my Garmin ran flat 2/3 of the way round my ride this afternoon. Makes it look like I got hit by a bus in the middle of nowhere.

Never mind, it's time for the shops now which isn't much to get excited about by itself but...... near the shops is the pub! And not just any old pub, but the cask ale pub of the year, according to these guys

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
            Bugger - my Garmin ran flat 2/3 of the way round my ride this afternoon. Makes it look like I got hit by a bus in the middle of nowhere.
            So now you can add as much / little as you want and no-one will know the difference
            Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

I saw this chap's tweets last night: BBC News - Tourist locked inside Waterstones bookshop uses Twitter to be freed

I love the idea of building a fort out of books
              I could do that with my databooks.

<ZG in "you'll never take me alive, copper, top of the world, ma" mode>

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
                What a lovely old thing is the NE555 - proper old "timer"
                Never designed much with it until relatively recently.

Comment

Hope Project Gutenberg's servers aren't too annoyed with me for failing to follow their robot-rate-limiting rules
                  Expect the Terminator soon.

He'll be back.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    So now you can add as much / little as you want and no-one will know the difference

Even better is, i was knackered from riding 1000 foot of ascent into a headwind so was taking it easy on the flat bits towards the end

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
                      Mr N is a hoarder, I tend to throw stuff away if I don't need it.
                      Judging by the state of this place, I'm rapidly turning into Mr Trebus.

Though I find the hum & dripping sounds from the dehumidifier strangely relaxing.

Comment

Working...
                      X