• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alias View Post
    I actually meant for the not being too hungover to drive back part
    I'm still entertaining the possibility of grabbing a last-minute booking for the Friday night, if I can't be bothered to drive back

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
      Those who represented the skool by playing rugby or cricket had the option of an even more exclusive upper skool tie.

Needless to say, I don't have one of those.
      The whole "Ties for the age after Victoria's mourning period has been suitably completed" business also resulted in three additional kinds of tie: House Options, who had certain disciplinary powers over the hapless members of the same school house as them, had slightly wider stripes in their house colours; Options, who had certain disciplinary powers over all, had a non-house-specific tie with silver eagles (eagles being prominent on the school's arms); and Monitors had a tie with gold eagles (and umbrellas and waistcoats).

Apparently, the school's policy was that all pupils who reached the final year of the Sixth Form would gain at least the lowliest of these offices, to give them something to put on their UCCA form. In my school year, it was found appropriate not to apply this convention to me, because (so I heard) my housemaster refused to appoint me as a House Option, because of my Bad Attitude towards the house and all matters appertaining thereto (i.e. I thought it was all bulltulip).

There was a fellow pupil of mine, and sometime classmate over our years there, who also left the school without attaining any of these offices. But a few months before it all came to an end I mentioned it to him, and he explained that he'd actually been offered a House Optionship but refused it on the grounds that he was an anarchist.

So we were the only two to leave the school in as long as anybody could remember without having at least a House Optionship to our names: he because he declined it, and I because my housemaster thought I was a git. Even though I'd learned to speak like a Southerner by that time

As for sports: House Colours, School Colours, oh my. (I never understood, nor gave a tulip about, any of it.)

Comment

Join IPSE

Comment

Morning
          "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Morning all.

I'd forgotten how utterly tedious & boring this job really is.

Bored.

Now.

And there's a boring meeting at 9:30 up the hill a bit.

And the fecking lift is fecked yet again so I'll have to stagger down 5 stories before I walk up the fecking hill.

Oh daffodil. *

*I have no idea what daffodil substitutes for, but it must be good.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              As for sports: House Colours, School Colours, oh my. (I never understood, nor gave a tulip about, any of it.)
              WNFS.

I was (very briefly) a prefect, but decided it wasn't for me (I don't like telling people what to do) so gave the badge back to the head prefect.

Can't remember whether or not I told him to stick it up his arse, but it's perfectly possible.

Not my thing, man, definitely not mellow.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
                WNFS.

I was (very briefly) a prefect, but decided it wasn't for me (I don't like telling people what to do) so gave the badge back to the head prefect.

Can't remember whether or not I told him to stick it up his arse, but it's perfectly possible.

Not my thing, man, definitely not mellow.
                Thankfully we had none of that nonsense in my school, there were prefects, but they held no sway whatsoever. It was a bog standard co-ed state school.
                "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Comment

Morning all

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
                      Morning all

Are you going to arrange a grub club to HyperD's new '' pop-up restaurant'' then?

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Working...
                      X