• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    Morning All.

Lovely and sunny here in the land of dragons.

MS. What's all this about an Inca Trail trip? Will you be be combining with a bit of a holiday?
    I suppose eating guinea pig will be a chance from her usual big mac.
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
      I suppose eating guinea pig will be a chance from her usual big mac.
      Cui, basically you drop a large flat rock on it and then fry it.

Alpaca on the other hand is fantastic and very low in cholesterol.

But why would you order either of those when you could be eating lomo saltado.

Comment

Well the proximity detector volume control works.

Unfortunately it's got a fairly intrusive 5.3kHz whistle on top of the audio.

It's coming from the negative bias generator for the opamp.

WTF do I do to stop that then?

Just asking, like.

Comment

Right, since we're (I'm) on the topic of Peruvian food here are the things you have to do if you visit & get the chance

1. Eat at one of Gaston Acurios places. He's one of their 'celeb' chefs but the food is fantastic and not expensive by UK standards. I've been to a couple but I'd definitely recommend Astrid & Gastón in the Miraflores region of Lima. Do NOT fill up on the breads that they bring.

2. Try Anticuchos. It's marinaded and then BBQ'd Beef heart. It tastes like you imagine beef would taste like if cows were left to do what they like.

3. Pollo la brasa. Peruvian BBQ'd chicken. It's everywhere and comes with fries and a spicy chilli dip. Just do it.

4. Ceviche, raw seafood marinaded in lime, onion and chilli until 'cooked'. Mrs P's favourite hangover cure.

5. This might be a bit hard to do but they do this thing called a Pachamanca. Basically, dig a hole, fill it with hot stones, cover it with banana leaves. Then chuck in a load of meat, corn, sweet potato, lima beans & cover with more banana leaves. Then they pretty much bury it in sand and leave it whilst they get drunk. Then they dig it up and it's fantastic. There are parks where you can hire one like we'd hire a bbq.

6. Drink Pisco. Drink it in cocktails, with coke, with lemonade , with ginger ale or straight up/over ice.

That should keep you well fed for a week or two.
          Last edited by Pondlife; 29 July 2014, 10:41.

Comment

Trip is really just Inca Trail - flying visit - out on Sat, return on the following Sunday. Would have been nice to go for a bit longer (there's a fantastic looking 3 week trip), but am abandoning family so a week probably reasonable, although it does seem a stupidly long flight for such a short trip.

Going with the Adventure Company as Tesco had a 4x deal on clubcard vouchers - although I think they're now Intrepid.

Done 'family adventures' with them before, and they were excellent, so hopeful that it should be good.

Anyway - physio thinks I should be good to go, so

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
              Well the proximity detector volume control works.

Unfortunately it's got a fairly intrusive 5.3kHz whistle on top of the audio.

It's coming from the negative bias generator for the opamp.

WTF do I do to stop that then?

Just asking, like.
              Try

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                Right, since we're (I'm) on the topic of Peruvian food here are the things you have to do if you visit & get the chance

1. Eat at one of Gaston Acurios places. He's one of their 'celeb' chefs but the food is fantastic and not expensive by UK standards. I've been to a couple but I'd definitely recommend Astrid & Gastón in the Miraflores region of Lima. Do NOT fill up on the breads that they bring.

2. Try Anticuchos. It's marinaded and then BBQ'd Beef heart. It tastes like you imagine beef would taste like if cows were left to do what they like.

3. Pollo la brasa. Peruvian BBQ'd chicken. It's everywhere and comes with fries and a spicy chilli dip. Just do it.

4. Ceviche, raw seafood marinaded in lime, onion and chilli until 'cooked'. Mrs P's favourite hangover cure.

5. This might be a bit hard to do but they do this thing called a Pachamanca. Basically, dig a hole, fill it with hot stones, cover it with banana leaves. Then chuck in a load of meat, corn, sweet potato, lima beans & cover with more banana leaves. Then they pretty much bury it in sand and leave it whilst they get drunk. Then they dig it up and it's fantastic. There are parks where you can essentially hire one like we'd hire a bbq.

6. Drink Pisco. Drink it in cocktails, with coke, with lemonade , with ginger ale or straight up/over ice.

That should keep you well fed for a week or two.
                Ta muchly - I don't do chilli though! Not spending time in Lima - just passing through, so I'll basically be in Cusco.

Walk the Inca Trail - Tour & Holiday | The Adventure Company is the trip I'm doing - actually I just checked and I'm flying out a day early on the Friday, so get an extra night in Cusco before the group joins me, so will be free to seek out local delicacies (and geocaches) then!

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                  Ta muchly - I don't do chilli though! Not spending time in Lima - just passing through, so I'll basically be in Cusco.

Walk the Inca Trail - Tour & Holiday | The Adventure Company is the trip I'm doing - actually I just checked and I'm flying out a day early on the Friday, so get an extra night in Cusco before the group joins me, so will be free to seek out local delicacies (and geocaches) then!
                  Cusco is great. I was adopted by a cat there. It started by sitting on me at breakfast and then followed me around all day.

There's loads of places to eat and things to see off the main square.

Once you're finished at Machu Pichu, go into the town and visit the hot springs (after which the town is named) for a soak.
                  Oh, and whilst at Machu Pichu take the time to climb/walk up Huayna Pichu.

Comment

I forgot to add an important bit.

When in Cusco, because of the altitude you get lots of places serving Coca Tea. It's made from every stock brokers favourite leaf
                    Firstly, it does help. When you first get off the plane you won't be able to breathe. You can get the leaf either in tea or just as a raw chewable leaf. Both work.

The thing I didn't realise was that the big tea-urn at the hotel contained 'essence of coca' not coca tea. i.e. you need to dilute it with water. I didn't dillute it and so basically drank 'coke' concentrate. Ah, happy days.

Comment

More wiggle (inner tubes) = more Haribo

Comment

Working...
                      X