• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Funnily enough my body is telling me to go for drugs and hookers. Maybe I should not have watched wolf of wall street last night.

Maybe sports drink would be better.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      Funnily enough my body is telling me to go for drugs and hookers. Maybe I should not have watched wolf of wall street last night.

Maybe sports drink would be better.
      If you are doing that much exercise, you really need to look into proper sports hydration.

Talk to ubersportsfuhrer Dallas
      "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Diarolyte does the job if you don't have sports drinks.

I always crave salty foods after a long ride. Mind you, I become a human salt-lick, so hardly surprising it needs replacing.

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
          If you are doing that much exercise, you really need to look into proper sports hydration.

Talk to ubersportsfuhrer Dallas
          I suppose I might have to. But she she have to be so stern about it? It feels like being in front of the headmistress....

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
            Diarolyte does the job if you don't have sports drinks.

I always crave salty foods after a long ride. Mind you, I become a human salt-lick, so hardly surprising it needs replacing.

How was the holiday?

Comment

I've got 1.5 litre of water in fromt on me. And have a couple of cups of oxo too. Now having chicken curry + rice. Is that enough?
              The 1.5l should have been drunk on the road really, in the form of an Isotonic carb drink. SiS make some good ones, but don't go for the zero calorie ones, you need the energy. Follow it with proper protein based recovery drink when you get home. Curry and rice is fine for a post ride refuel

You can work out how much you should be drinking by weighing yourself (nude) before a one hour work out without drinking anything. Towel off afterwards but don't shower, then weight yourself again. The weight you lost is what you needed to have drunk during the workout to maintain performance. If you lost more that 2% of your toil bodyweight you will see a real impact on your performance.

With the work your putting your body through you really should be making sure you get the nutrition on the bike sorted properly, otherwise you risk ending up in a heap at the side of the road. If you were working reasonably hard on the ride 40 calories a mile is a reasonable estimate of what you would have been burning. Based on your figures you were over 2000 calories in deficit by the end, much more than that and you would have bonked. Unless you are aiming for weight loss you need to be consuming what you burn as you burn it.

Have a look at getting some energy gels, go for the caffeinated versions if you are spending that long on the road, they will help keep you alert as well. Try a variety, as not everyone gets on with all off them. Try and use a mix of gels, solid food and isotonic drinks in your bottles to keep your stomach "interested", too much of the same thing can just leave you feeling bloated and unwell. Drink little and often, a good mouthful or two every 15 minutes and eat something every 30.

Ditch the cookies, chocolate and malt loaf ( I know I've suggested it before, but I didn't realise how long you were riding for!) they all contain a lot of fat which is hard to process into energy on the go. You want things with lots of simple carbs that can be converted easily. There are loads of commercial energy bars around that are specifically designed for this and there is enough choice you are bound to find some you like. Clif Bars are my personal choice, but there are lots of others.

Fitness isn't the limiting factor on endurance events, it's nutrition. You can only store so much glycogen in your muscles and even the best athletes can't go more than a couple of hours without refuelling or they suffer a real drop in performance. Getting that refuelling right makes a huge differance.
              Last edited by DaveB; 20 July 2014, 20:53.
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                The 1.5l should have been drunk on the road really, in the form of an Isotonic carb drink. SiS make some good ones, but don't go for the zero calorie ones, you need the energy. Follow it with proper protein based recovery drink when you get home. Curry and rice is fine for a post ride refuel

You can work out how much you should be drinking by weighing yourself (nude) before a one hour work out without drinking anything. Towel off afterwards but don't shower, then weight yourself again. The weight you lost is what you needed to have drunk during the workout to maintain performance. If you lost more that 2% of your toil bodyweight you will see a real impact on your performance.

With the work your putting your body through you really should be making sure you get the nutrition on the bike sorted properly, otherwise you risk ending up in a heap at the side of the road. If you were working reasonably hard on the ride 40 calories a mile is a reasonable estimate of what you would have been burning. Based on your figures you were over 2000 calories in deficit by the end, much more than that and you would have bonked. Unless you are aiming for weight loss you need to be consuming what you burn as you burn it.

Have a look at getting some energy gels, go for the caffeinated versions if you are spending that long on the road, they will help keep you alert as well. Try a variety, as not everyone gets on with all off them. Try and use a mix of gels, solid food and isotonic drinks in your bottles to keep your stomach "interested", too much of the same thing can just leave you feeling bloated and unwell. Drink little and often, a good mouthful or two every 15 minutes and eat something every 30.

Ditch the cookies, chocolate and malt loaf ( I know I've suggested it before, but I didn't realise how long you were riding for!) they all contain a lot of fat which is hard to process into energy on the go. You want things with lots of simple carbs that can be converted easily. There are loads of commercial energy bars around that are specifically designed for this and there is enough choice you are bound to find some you like. Clif Bars are my personal choice, but there are lots of others.

Fitness isn't the limiting factor on endurance events, it's nutrition. You can only store so much glycogen in your muscles and even the best athletes can't go more than a couple of hours without refuelling or they suffer a real drop in performance. Getting that refuelling right makes a huge differance.
                You make some very good points. And alot of them. A few comments :-

I am still fuming about not doing the triple IM. Should have been a walk in the park. Yes I swam 7.2 miles and cycled 210 miles. And everyone says how well I did. But I am very hard on myself. What I took away was, in order, need to learn to swim, need to sort out nutrition and lose weight.

DasUberfuressLibrarian has given me a swimming coach - first lesson in August (he is very busy).

I read an article in triathlete europe about encouraging your body to convert fat to energy. You exercise until you bonk - prolong that time period. Today I cycled for 3 hours then took on board 900 calories. Then another 3 hours and took on board 2100 calories. It was starting to rain and I knew it would be torrential. I once got hypothermia on a ride after stopping in the rain - I decided to cycle the 4 hours home. I hate carrying food - I prefer to stop. I have 2*750ml bottles so I always have fluid.

I never touch alcohol or caffeine - except caffeine in races. Then it has a huge effect.

I accept the cookies were bad - malt loaf has no fat and I need fat. For long events(over 1 IM) your body starts to reject sugar - as I found out. You need to take on board some fat. I want to get my body used to more chocolate so I get get it down before I have to switch to real food.

So overall I am fairly pleased. 4 weeks ago I was 89kg - this morning 85kg. I don't have a target - but basically I want to be almost fat free. Since I was 16 my lowest has been 81.5kg - I reckon 80kg is about right. Once I get there I will then take on board more calories so I can train. At the moment I am only doing half the training I could - but losing weight is the priority.

After the brutal (20th Sep) I intend to switch to mostly swimming for 6 months - I need to get it nailed.

I really appreciate the advice - more please! Does what I have said make sense?

Next June at Enduroman I want to do a quin(5 IM) to make up for my triple performance! Not sure if to go for continuous or non-continuous - I will look at when events are scheduled.

I also have to avoid mental explosion - in January this year I lost 6kg in that month. I then went bonkers and put it all back on! I have to learn to swim. I have to lose weight. Then I have to train average of 30 hours a week. Should be possible - it will will keep my mind off how tulip my life is. Mrs BP saw a divorce lawyer last Friday. Soon will be bankruptcy, twice divorced, not seeing my kids, in a one bedroomed place. I need something to take my mind off it....

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                  Home again, home again, jiggety jig.

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
                    Bison, nowt much to report home about.
                    But it didn't taste like chicken?

Comment

I suppose I might have to. But she she have to be so stern about it? It feels like being in front of the headmistress....
                      Does she charge a lot?

Comment

Working...
                      X