• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oi, Batty, I just found this;

BEEF CUT CHART

Remember though that cloggies tend to buy it all cut into slices that are convenient for idiots and there are only a few real butchers who actually slaughter and butcher animals; most just buy meat at the cash and carry and pretend to be butchers. But some keurslagers are OK (some are tulipe), and some butchers will cut the meat as you want it if you know what to ask for. E.g. silverside; they cut it into slices (sukadelap) which I don't want as it's an ideal piece of meat to braise in one big lump. I guess you've found a decent butcher by now; you'll often find that the butcher himself understands what you want and why you want it that way, but the other staff are generally hopeless. I don't know why, but shopkeepers in this country don't seem to like giving staff a bit of trade knowledge, perhaps because then they'd have to pay them a bit more.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post

BEEF CUT CHART

Remember though that cloggies tend to buy it all cut into slices that are convenient for idiots and there are only a few real butchers who actually slaughter and butcher animals; most just buy meat at the cash and carry and pretend to be butchers. But some keurslagers are OK (some are tulipe), and some butchers will cut the meat as you want it if you know what to ask for. E.g. silverside; they cut it into slices (sukadelap) which I don't want as it's an ideal piece of meat to braise in one big lump. I guess you've found a decent butcher by now; you'll often find that the butcher himself understands what you want and why you want it that way, but the other staff are generally hopeless. I don't know why, but shopkeepers in this country don't seem to like giving staff a bit of trade knowledge, perhaps because then they'd have to pay them a bit more.
      Nice one, will try this when I am in Spain next
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        Nice one, will try this when I am in Spain next
        Ah, Espana, good beef cost not mucho.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
          Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Liver.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Fava beans.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Chianti.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Kidneys.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

A census taker makes good eating for at least a couple of days.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Saw some lambs' hearts in Tescos the other day, I was quite surprise & very tempted.

Lambs' Hearts with stuffing.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
          I sometimes chuck heart in stews IF I can get the stuff; stand in a butchers shop in this country asking for internal organs and they're likely to look at you as if you're a giant green lizard. Which is alright for you but a bit troublesome for me.

Comment

BEEF CUT CHART

My butcher has his own farm, so what you see is what he's just slaughtered. It's a real old school place, recommended to me by a local chef. they are rare in the fact they have huge cuts ready for you to tell them exactly how big you want your steak, I love you can get Schenkel on the bone, which is great for stews.
            The only shame is these guys don't age their meat and my Dutch isn't advanced enough to ask them about it.
            "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

I sometimes chuck heart in stews IF I can get the stuff; stand in a butchers shop in this country asking for internal organs and they're likely to look at you as if you're a giant green lizard. Which is alright for you but a bit troublesome for me.
              Stuffed heart, pot roasted, mmmmmmmm

I'd like to be able to get crubeens ( pigs feet), but I think they may run a mile if I asked for that.
              "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
                You are me, aren't you?

Does he eat people too?

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Assuming you know where to each bit on the cow then you can find the names here;

Rundvlees - Vereniging van Keurslagers

Meer over rundvlees - Vereniging van Keurslagers
                  ta!

I know my cuts only too well, grandparents were farmers and butchers and I had to learn all the relevant cuts for chef school.

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
                    My butcher has his own farm, so what you see is what he's just slaughtered. It's a real old school place, recommended to me by a local chef. they are rare in the fact they have huge cuts ready for you to tell them exactly how big you want your steak, I love you can get Schenkel on the bone, which is great for stews.
                    The only shame is these guys don't age their meat and my Dutch isn't advanced enough to ask them about it.
                    Hoelang is dit vlees gerijpt?

They're probably counting on chefs having their own riping cabinet. You can order meat at Hanos and ask them to keep it in a riping cabinet for you, but it might cost a bit too much if you're only buying small amounts; good idea to team up with your local chef on buying some aged beef.

Comment

Hoelang is dit vlees gerijpt?

They're probably counting on chefs having their own riping cabinet. You can order meat at Hanos and ask them to keep it in a riping cabinet for you, but it might cost a bit too much if you're only buying small amounts; good idea to team up with your local chef on buying some aged beef.
                      ta! couldn't remember what the word for ageing was and google translate if often unhelpful.

Will probably wait till we buy a place ( which should hopefully be in the next month or so) will chat with the local chef and see if he'd be interested which I think he will given that he shoots his own game and butchers it himself.

That way I'll have space for a chest freezer of sorts.

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Working...
                      X