• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Or given to formal test plans, issue tracking, project management type things
    +50 Xeno Geek Points
    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Ooh! PALI!
      +50 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
        But then they are not really technical
        PALI!

Comment

Ooh! PALI!

Comment

I've sent an email stating

"Before I can complete the development, I will need to know the following details as well..."

I raised them in my list of comments on the spec, but the only response from the analyst was a question mark. I don't know whether that means that she didn't understand what I meant (probable) or that she doesn't know the answer (almost certain).

The problem of putting a senior analyst on the project who doesn't know the business logic, doesn't know how the application has been configured at the moment, and doesn't know Oracle. Apart from that, she's great
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              I've sent an email stating

"Before I can complete the development, I will need to know the following details as well..."

I raised them in my list of comments on the spec, but the only response from the analyst was a question mark. I don't know whether that means that she didn't understand what I meant (probable) or that she doesn't know the answer (almost certain).

The problem of putting a senior analyst on the project who doesn't know the business logic, doesn't know how the application has been configured at the moment, and doesn't know Oracle. Apart from that, she's great
              Sounds like there may be a bit work for you there.
              +50 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Afternoon all

Comment

Bored.

Now.

Comment

Sounds like there may be a bit work for you there.
                    Possibly - it's whether I can be arsed, to be honest

If they had let me build the process as it should have been done, then I could have done something about it. Instead, "the business" insisted that they use some other proprietary stuff that they had bought in, rather than the embedded product which is free with their existing licence.

I was told that this phase would be essentially re-using what I'd already done, using the same technology. Now it's the vendor for the other product doing all the work and then calling two APIs that I'm due to write, so somewhat descoped what I was meant to put in. It also means that the APIs can't do what I really want them to do (do a series of dynamic calculations) because the call from the third party doesn't give me any context, so I have to build a big list at the start and then hope that nothing changes in the meantime.

If I was doing it the way I wanted to, I could easily have built in all their complex logic into a nice visual flow, instead I've got to build a black box and just kick out two outputs.

Not happy.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

On the plus side, ignoring all the crap data that they provided, I'm down to 281 exceptions to the business logic.

And I've managed to script some of the data creation. Now I just need SQL Developer to write the DML for me, and I can tick that off.

It won't do what they need, but I've got to put something in place...
                      Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Working...
                      X