• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    Nope, but I'm not that kind of PM
    Ahh - you mean not the "If you don't like it, you know where the door is" kind? Phew.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
      This used to be mildly amusing.

I'll give you that. Amazing piece of kit.

Comment

ok, line manager has been whinging about getting stuff in a day early. I have busted my chops and some of the project teams chops to get it all done on time

Where are they now? In a f***ing wine bar. And they haven't finished their stuff for the deadline.

"Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
          ok, line manager has been whinging about getting stuff in a day early. I have busted my chops and some of the project teams chops to get it all done on time

Where are they now? In a f***ing wine bar. And they haven't finished their stuff for the deadline.

Jealousy. A terrible thing!

Comment

Originally posted by HeliCraig View Post
            I'll give you that. Amazing piece of kit.
            And it leaked fuel from day one.

Comment

And it leaked fuel from day one.
              Intentionally by all accounts.
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                Intentionally by all accounts.
                I suspect it cost too much to consider fixing.

It stopped leaking once it got up to temperature.

Comment

I suspect it cost too much to consider fixing.

It stopped leaking once it got up to temperature.
                  Not so much cost as just not being able to solve the problem at all according to Wikipedia

To allow for thermal expansion at the high operational temperatures, the fuselage panels were manufactured to fit only loosely on the ground. Proper alignment was only achieved when the airframe heated due to air resistance at high speeds, causing the airframe to expand several inches. Because of this, and the lack of a fuel sealing system that could handle the thermal expansion of the airframe at extreme temperatures, the aircraft would leak JP-7 jet fuel onto the runway before it took off. The aircraft would quickly make a short sprint, meant to warm up the airframe, and was then refueled in the air before departing on its mission. Cooling was carried out by cycling fuel behind the titanium surfaces at the front of the wings (chines). On landing after a mission the canopy temperature was over 300 °C (572 °F), too hot to approach. Non-fibrous asbestos with high heat tolerance was used in high-temperature areas.[20]
                  "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by HeliCraig View Post
                    Jealousy. A terrible thing!
                    Not really.
                    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by Wiki
                      Fuel

Development began with using a coal slurry powerplant,[20] but Johnson determined that the coal particles damaged engine components.

He then began researching a liquid hydrogen powerplant, but the tanks required to store cryogenic hydrogen did not suit the Blackbird's size and shape.[20]
                      Mach 3 on coal.

I like it.

Comment

Working...
                      X