• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmm - some arse is posting abusive comments on my site again.

I wonder of they're aware of the Computer Misuse Act: not many people realise that using a proxy to post an abusive comment on a blog can send you to jail (do not pass GO, etc.)

Comment

Well, "Dynamic Internet Technology Inc." seem to be long on the "We let people post abuse on your site in the name of freedom" schtick, but not so good at being contactable: none of their site seems to respond except the home page, where they big themselves up.

Anyway, it was one of their proxies that the tosspot used; if need be, I'll just block every IP address they have.

Hmm... when it finally responds, the support page just leads to some forum in Chinese.

However, that still seems to be hosted in Palo Alto... and on the same netblock as the post to my site. That should make it easier to track down the original source: they're trying to provide proxies for people in repressive regimes like China, and in my experience such people don't like it when tossers living in free countries abuse their networks for the purpose of being abusive.

Comment

Right, "dit-inc.us" is working again, but it turns out that they get their hosting from another company: Hurricane Electric Inc, aka "he.net".

Meanwhile, two more pieces of abuse have been posted. Looks like somebody needs their medicine.

The abuse@... email accounts of both companies have now been contacted, explaining that they may have to deal with a subpoena from the California courts (in whose jurisdiction they lie) in support of an investigation under the UK's Computer Misuse Act and other UK legislation relating to harassment.

I wonder what the response will be. Such corporations normally regard it as easier to blacklist the abuser than deal with the hassle of the legal system.
        Last edited by NickFitz; 1 November 2009, 04:01.

Comment

Ahah, they've used a Skynet address in Belgium this time - that's handy, what with EU members co-operating over computer misuse

Another post, another abuse@... email sent

Comment

Useful email from dit-inc - they seem like a pretty decent bunch, overall

Comment

Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.0; GTB6; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; Media Center PC 5.0; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30618)

An IE-on-Vista user - might have known it

Google Toolbar version 6 as well, I see.

SLCC1 indicates a Home version of Vista, rather than a professional one, doesn't it? (Secure Licensing Commerce Client)

Media Center PC 5.0: doesn't that denote Windows Vista Home Premium when taken in conjunction with the SLCC1 bit? Ah, no: it could be Vista Ultimate after all, I think.

Anybody know if those .NET runtimes are up to date?

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                Ahah, they've used a Skynet address in Belgium this time - that's handy, what with EU members co-operating over computer misuse
                Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.0; GTB6; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; Media Center PC 5.0; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30618)
                The post via Belgium has the same UA string - I did wonder if they were switching between browsers and got the wrong one. However there's been a further post via dit-inc since I last checked (which was picked up by the spam filter).

I wonder if the Belgian post was a major fsck-up on the part of the poster which has destroyed their hope of anonymity

Ah well, I'm moderating all comments now anyway, so they can post all they like: the database will gather the evidence for me, and their garbage won't litter the place

I think I'll do a little log analysis tomorrow

Comment

go get 'em fitzy!

Comment

Morning all.

Skynet address?

They'll be back.

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
                      Yes.
                      The lack of light is a bit depressing, but it's only a few weeks until the days start getting longer again.
                      6 weeks to end of term.

7 weeks to longest day.

I shan't mention the X word.

Comment

Working...
                      X