• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Panzer IV has the distinction of being the only German tank produced throughout the war. Early in the war they fared poorly in direct combat with British tanks and suffered severely against Soviet T-34s, which were superior in armour, weaponry, and cross-country performance while being equal in speed. However, these fast-moving tanks and other armoured vehicles, competently used, nonetheless proved a critical element of the blitzkrieg.
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

With all due haste, he proceeded out of the taxi rank.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by DS23 View Post
        but nothing seems to be afoot with the journey so far. what could possibly have gone wrong from here?
        Keep up at the back...
        ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

By this time most tanks were equipped with radios (all U.S. and German,[7] some Soviet; British radios were common, but often of indifferent quality), vastly improving the direction of units. Where previously, tanks had been seen as infantry support weapons, and were forced to move at the pace of the infantry, new doctrines and command structures allowed them to be used on their own, or in cooperation with infantry, instead of in a 'moving artillery' role.[7] Closely associated requirements were to give infantry and logistics the speed to keep up with a rapid advance, and thus bringing into being mechanized infantry

Comment

"Train not runnin'?" the driver grinned.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              Would I make it through security in time, I hear you ask?
              would you make it through security in time?

Comment

By the end of the war all forces had dramatically increased their tanks' firepower and armour; for instance, the ten ton Panzer I had only two machine guns; war's end, the standard German medium tank, the Panther, mounted a powerful, high-velocity 75 mm gun and weighed forty-five tonnes.

Comment

With an unholy amount of restraint, I resisted the temptation to punch him in the back of the head.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Another major wartime advance was the introduction of radically improved suspension systems. The quality of the suspension is the primary determinant of a tank's cross-country performance, and tanks with limited suspension travel subject their crew to massive shaking; this not only limits the speed at which the tank can travel, but also prevents firing while moving. Newer systems like the Christie or torsion bar suspension dramatically improved performance, allowing the late-war Panther to travel cross country at speeds that would have been difficult for earlier designs to reach on pavement.

Comment

We progressed in a stately fashion out of the station, turning left and then right.
                      Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Working...
                      X