• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

During World War I two major types of tanks had evolved: the 'male', with large calibre guns, and the 'female', which only had machine guns. The 'female' was mainly designed as an anti-infantry platform to defend the 'male'.[1] After World War I ended, the 'female' was largely replaced by machine gun carriers (such as the Bren carrier), and later by armoured personnel carriers.
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Sadly, the first respondent was a man from South Yorkshire.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post

Comment

However, we gradually formed a group of people.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

With the tank concept now established, several nations designed and built tanks between the two world wars. The British designs were the most advanced, due largely to their interest in an armoured force during the 1930s. France and Germany did not engage in much development during the early interwar years due to the state of their economy, and the Versailles Treaty respectively (all German tanks had been destroyed as a condition of surrender.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              This is the part where I reveal my origins
              ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

A motley crew of myself, a man from South Yorkshire, two lovely ladies, and another man who didn't say much.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

The U.S. did little development during this period because the Cavalry branch was senior to the Armored branch and managed to absorb most of the (limited) funding earmarked for tank development. Even George S. Patton, with tank experience during WWI, transferred from Armor to Cavalry during this period (because the US Army decided not to fund a tank corps).

Comment

We slowly moved to the front of the queue.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Throughout this period several classes of tanks were common, most of this development taking place in the United Kingdom. Light tanks, typically weighing ten tons or less, were used primarily for scouting and generally mounted a small-calibre gun useful only against other light tanks. The medium tanks (cruiser tanks, in the United Kingdom) were somewhat heavier and focused on long-range high-speed movement

Comment

Working...
                      X