• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    I don't like improvisation. I can see why someone would sit in on a jamming session, but cannot understand why someone would choose to just listen.

What is "classical jazz"? Is it that zibbidie-boobedy-boo-boo bollocks?

improvisation in jazz varies greatly. generally, the trad jazz improvise according to strict rules - the music will follow expected patterns but without forcing the player to stick to an exact path. the music here can be happy or sad but will be easy to enjoy.

big band jazz will be fully orchestrated and will have very little improvisation and sometimes none. for example listen to count basie and his orchestra on "the atomic mr basie" - that is the finished article. same goes for much of duke ellington - the players will be following written music. as with trad jazz this music will be easy to listen to.

the arrival of bebop changed all that though and that is where much of the noise and pain comes from. the expression and freedom that players found meant deciphering the music became much harder. though not always - davis and getz come out of this lot.

no i meant classical music rather than classical jazz.

Comment

I have found out who the daily caller is.

It is Capital One credit cards people chasing Kim Lucas.

(Thank you for the 1471 suggestion, DS23.)

I tried explaining to the droid that called but she hung up on me,

I phoned them back and eventually got an automated response that told me to ring an 0800 number.

Did so and eventually got a human. They said if I give them Kim's account details, they will update the number. I said I don't know Kim. Sothey asked for Kim's new number. This went on for about five minutes.

Eventually I got the idiot to understand. He said he would put a note on MY record so they don't call me again. After another few minutes he finally understood I don't have a Capital One account ("So why are you calling us?")

Finally, he offers to put a note on Kim's record to not call me. "That's nice" I said. "But don't you want the telephone number I am talking about?"

I look forward to their call tomorrow...
      And the day after and the day after that.

My favourite phone call was the fifth of the evening for Mr or Mrs Evans while I was attempting to watch Buffy.

Some snotty woman from Barclaycard told me not to be so rude.

To which I replied that a) I was not Mr or Mrs Evans and b) this was no longer his frigging phone number and c) I live in a different town and d) no I do not know how to get in touch with either of them nor would I want to.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
        And the day after and the day after that.

My favourite phone call was the fifth of the evening for Mr or Mrs Evans while I was attempting to watch Buffy.

Some snotty woman from Barclaycard told me not to be so rude.

To which I replied that a) I was not Mr or Mrs Evans and b) this was no longer his frigging phone number and c) I live in a different town and d) no I do not know how to get in touch with either of them nor would I want to.
        Had she been on the doorstep I'd have staked her with Mr Pointy just to see if she dusted or not.

Comment

Originally posted by DS23 View Post
          no i meant classical music rather than classical jazz.
          I like most classical music.
          My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Finally, he offers to put a note on Kim's record to not call me. "That's nice" I said. "But don't you want the telephone number I am talking about?"

I look forward to their call tomorrow...
            Probably comes up on his screen.

Wonders of CLI and the modern telephonic systems.

Comment

I like the fact that I can leave at 16:40 today.

Hanging around until 17:10 did not sit well yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
                On that Wrong-Note - is Billie Holiday jazz or blues? I have had a 'domestic' over this question in the past.
                she certainly sings the blues but to my knowledge she always did it in a jazz or orchestrated setting rather than as part of a blues combo. she worked with benny goodman, cout basie and artie shaw (great swing jazz bands). she wrote some jazz standards and recorded a whole lot more. her vocal style though is the clincher - she sings just like a saxophonist plays. she was devoted to the great jazz player lester young.

the answer is jazz.

Comment

I like most classical music.
                  what would be your desert island disks?

Comment

(Thank you for the 1471 suggestion, DS23.)
                    you're welcome. fingers crossed they don't call again.

Comment

over half way to the next century..

Comment

Working...
                      X