• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    You have got to admit that The Hoff really knows how to milk a working formula. Us contractors could learn an awful lot from him. If someone did, there'd be a beardy COBOL-66 programmer fighting off the totty with a stick.
    Now that's proper fiction
    +50 Xeno Geek Points
    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Poxy Avast! antivirus.

When it does an update, it completely ties up my machine.

The drive light goes on and stays on for about 3 minutes.

The keyboard is utterly ignored.

The mouse can be moved but is otherwise seemingly ignored (all clicks are, of course, being saved up for action later...)

Then it goes "Bing!"

Then a couple of minutes later a wanky blue box pops up saying "Update done, sucker. Click here for more information."

That sits there for a minute or so.

Then a voice says "Virus database updated."

Then the blue box disappears.

About two minutes late the drive light goes intermittent and all those mouse clicks get actioned. In the wrong places, of course.

I have NEVER been able to click on that poxy blue box "for more information".

The whole process takes up to about eight poxy minutes.

It is so annoying, I'm tempted to run it with updates disabled.
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

And once it has done an update, the drive light never really goes out again. The PC runs like a dog and has to be rebooted to work properly again.

Poxy pox pox.
        My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

The PC has to be rebooted to work properly again.
          ... which took about 16 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
            Had a nice time, didn't get to traipse around cambridge as Mr Nor had a hangover
            Oh. So you're a 'she'?

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

1971?

I repeat,

Comment

I see 80W's trolling is working. I wonder how long this will go on.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                  Oops - due to over-enthusiastic tapping of the "Download" button I now have a copy of Jerome K Jerome's Three Men on the Bummel translated into Catalan

The Iliad kept me amused for seven days on a canal boat holiday. Your downloaded selection would keep me going for a year. And I read lots.

Comment

Many years ago I invested in a spiffy power supply. It provides about 10 different output voltages. It comes with 12 or 14 connectors each of which can be turned so as to provide reversed polarity.

It's a great gadget.

I bought it when a power adaptor got broken about 15 years ago.

The doobrie that holds the connectors went into one box of bits. The adaptor itself went into another.

Since then, the connectors and the adaptor have never been brought back together.

When we were packing up for this move, I came across each component so neither has been lost. But where they are now, I am not sure.
                    I made the effort to find and reconstruct it.

It is now back in its packaging with all bits intact.

Not as many bits as I recalled, though. Funny thing, memory.

Comment

Oh. So you're a 'she'?
                      Yes, she is.
                      +50 Xeno Geek Points
                      Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                      As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Working...
                      X