• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

heard some cannonball adderly and nancy wilson on shuffle thismorning.

Comment

192999=vooddoflux
      193000=DS23
      193001=cailin maith

I have emailed faqqer.....

Comment

from this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nancy-Wilson...2&sr=8-1-spell

Comment

which has inspired me to revisit more of cannonball's canon.

Comment

Hmmm, Fleetwood Mac are playing the NIA in November too. I quite fancy that...
            Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Somethin-Els...d_sim_dmusic_3

if you like "kind of blue" (and how could you not?) you'll like this too.

Comment

of course there are some that don't like it. how could there not be?

zumbruk says: "I bought this because various friends assured me it was "jazz for people who don't like jazz" (in other words, me). They were wrong. Very, very wrong. I hated every second of it. Complete waste of money. If someone tells you, as a jazz-hater to get this, ignore them. It's jazz. It's horrid. "

Comment

and c p lewis at least provides a reasable argument:

"It has already been said here that this album is usually found in non-jazz fans' collections alongside Bob Marley's greatest hits and most probably David Gray's entire ouvre. Perhaps it stands sentry there unplayed, just so its spine can be read, head tilted sideways, begging to impress upon whoever it is browsing through their collection some ill-gotten measure of sophistication? Perhaps they did play it once then decided no, they were right about jazz all along?

Modal, understated, and (aaargh!) cool, or tedious, cicuitous and under-cooked? Amongst aficionados, the most fiercely debated issue with the session is whether you are appreciating it at the correct pitch (an issue with the tape playback speed when it was mastered). That sums up the excitement levels for you. Hardly a dynamic recording to bolster enthusiasm for a novice jazz listener.

Personally, I feel sad for Bobby Timmons. Who? The pianist in Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers who wrote 'Moanin'' the year previous to this release. If he had had the temerity to just repeat the head to that tune up a semitone and then back down again as Miles practically does here (on 'So What'), it would be that album redundantly nestling in millions of style magazine-reading cretins' cd collections rather than this (somehow I picture Robert Elms owning 2 dozen copies). I find modal jazz to be a device that is prone to being abused as a way to stretch out lame ideas for twice as long as they need to be, and Miles was always fond of waiting until the cab ride to the studio to write the material. Just saying.

Just so this is not completely written off as a Davis-hating rant, here are my pointers for a few other jazz albums (from the exact same time frame as this: 1958-9) for the uninitiated to peruse rather than this stultifyingly obvious choice. Beware neophytes; no one musical genre can be defined by (and thus written off by) one album and I really do want to encourage more people to listen to jazz. These just strike me as being as accessible as Kind Of Blue.

Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - Moanin'
                  Horace Silver - Blowin' The Blues Away
                  Sonny Clark - Cool Struttin'
                  Lou Donaldson - Gravy Train
                  Gil Evans - The Complete Pacific Jazz Sessions
                  Bennie Green - Soul Stirrin'

My noted Blue Note bias is definitely a factor in this list. But from my own experience, being compelled to study this album as a rock-loving music student, I was put off jazz for several years by its meandering pace and lack of excitement. It took me another 5 years to discover there was more to jazz than Miles. "

Comment

he's a bit too twisted by its popularity. he might have a point about the meandering modality but then that was precicely the point. against a backdrop of frenetic modern and ageing swing here was something else. cool.

Comment

nice.

Comment

Working...
                      X