• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    I reckon Leeds has the best totty. Leeds girls try harder.
    Covent Garden is always replete with young ladies dressed like slatterns, but they're mainly foreign. For some reason, being in London seems to inspire foreign lasses to slut it up big time. I don't know why this is

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
      So this numbers game - try to outdo each other in post counts? Cripple the CUK servers with drivel? Make a million or two?
      I refer the honourable denizen to the reply I gave quite a long time ago

Comment

Originally posted by DS23 View Post
        or at least it was. that's the trouble. it stays forever and yet moves.
        weird huh?
        Tell me about it - I'm still racking my brains over how best to make the TPDSpider cope with all the possible ramifications of post deletions, newbie post insertions, and a combination of those happening within a short period of time

I think I may have to fall back to some kind of heuristic under certain circumstances...

Comment

How do we find out?
          Splendid pali!

Zippy

Comment

Geek = sad bastard

Comment

so i'm gone

have a good morning zippy and anyone else who happens by.

catch you later.
              Goodnight DS

Comment

Well, I've only had to disconnect and reconnect about seventeen times during the catch-up session

It's as that chap said on the forum I linked to earlier - 3's connection will stay connected, but just turn into a massive null device. "Send your TCP packets here folks - we'll throw them away for you!"

Sometimes it claims to establish a connection, but if you immediately switch to a shell and do an nslookup for some little-known site like www.google.com, it'll just time out.

Other times it'll claim to establish a connection, an nslookup will return an instant (and correct) response, but any attempt to reach said domain via HTTP will just stall.

Sometimes it all just works... but within anywhere from thirty seconds to three minutes, it's gone to pot. This does not depend on the level of utilisation of the connection: sometimes it will simply stop returning responses in the middle of a set of responses; e.g. a BBC News page will load, but it'll suddenly stop responding on one of the images, and all subsequent requests (to any domain) are doomed.

Sometimes it works and doesn't go to pot for ninety-seven and a half minutes. (Then it goes to pot.)

But it's never consistent.

Epic fail on 3's part. It was never very good, but it's got a lot worse

Now, how many times will I have to disconnect and reconnect before I can finally submit this...

Answer: having typed this the connection claimed to be active, but a simple nslookup failed and the CUK home page was inaccessible.

Reconnect: nslookup fails.
                Reconnect: nslookup works, CUK can't be reached.
                Reconnect: nslookup works, CUK can't be reached, nslookup now fails (after less than thirty seconds connected).
                Reconnect: nslookup works, CUK forums home page works... let's see if I can post this at last

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                  Answer: having typed this the connection claimed to be active, but a simple nslookup failed and the CUK home page was inaccessible.

Reconnect: nslookup works, CUK can't be reached, nslookup now fails (after less than thirty seconds connected).
                  Reconnect: nslookup works, CUK forums home page works... let's see if I can post this at last
                  And the moral of the story?

3's service sucks giant donkey knobs. I had to pay for the privilege of experiencing that humungous pile of fail, not only in cash for access to their network, but in time spent reconnecting when around 50% of "connections" don't actually work from the very start, and most of the rest don't actually do anything useful

Avoid 3 like the plague

Comment

Morning all...

Someone's been busy since last I looked...

Comment

and pimp just bought me lunch. which was nice.
                      I don't think I've had a pimp buy me lunch at all this millennium.
                      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Working...
                      X