• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    I strongly suspect it's holding off on the worst until I'm halfway between the hotel and the pub with no shelter in reach

We expect no rain said the weatherman, but it did
    I hope it don't fall on me I said, but it did
    Think I'll head off for dinner
    It transpires that I did the right thing heading off about five minutes ahead of my usual time. I endured - well, enjoyed - a little light drizzle on the hike to the pub. Having obtained a pint, I found a place to sit and went through the traditional ritual of extracting the individual sections of The Grauniad, focusing (this being Thursday) on the hunt for the Technology supplement.

Having sorted out the essentials, I glanced out of the window, only to find that the street outside had just earned itself a nomination in the "Best New River" category, and the raindrops gave the impression of not so much splashing as bouncing a foot back into the air as they arrived

However, the rain had the last laugh: it hasn't stopped since, and I got totally soaked on the walk back

Still, at least I'm not like those wusses at an adjacent table who waited for almost half-an-hour, with empty glasses, until they thought the rain had stopped before leaving; who then found, as they stood peering out of the door, that it hadn't stopped, it had just lightened up; who then returned to their table (and only one of them bought another drink) for another thirty minutes; and who finally had another look outside, debated anxiously amongst themselves ("Shall we just get wet?" "I don't know, we could just get wet I suppose." "We'll get wet if we do." "Shall we just get wet then?"), and finally decided to accept the Awful Inevitability Of The One Obvious Fact: they were going to get wet.

I felt like grabbing each one by the shoulders, shaking them, and shouting into their faces:

"You're English! It's raining! You'll get wet! Get used to it!"

Before anybody questions their hesitancy: they were in their early twenties with no obvious health problems; far from wearing expensive clothes that might suffer in the damp they were actually less well-dressed than myself (and that's hard to achieve); and there were no expensive hairdos involved (again, less kempt than me; again, hard to achieve).

I reckon they spent too much of their childhood believing their mothers when they (the mothers) said "Don't go out in that rain, you'll catch your death!" Of course, all intelligent children soon learn that the mother is talking rubbish in that case; these seem to have categorised such advice alongside useful cautions such as "Don't get into cars with strange men". Losers
    Last edited by NickFitz; 6 August 2009, 23:51.

Comment

I found a place to sit and went through the traditional ritual of extracting the individual sections of The Grauniad, focusing (this being Thursday) on the hunt for the Technology supplement.
      The Gruadain
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
        The Gruadain
        I'm not getting into that argument at this time of night

The Shipping Forecast is in full swing; goodnight RC, and the rest

(Friday tomorrow )

Late news: no recent precipitation at Liverpool Crosby

Comment

My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Damn. I've been lying in bed for a couple of hours drowsing.

If I had thought earlier, I could have posted at 05:06 07/08/09

Comment

Good morning all!

Morning CM!

I think Orange have bolloxed my blackberry! I received an update sms this morning to my old 3g phone which has the number I'm transferring to the Orange Blackberry(Shirley Shome Mishtake).

So, if things ain't sorted by lunchtime I is going to visit the Orange shop and play bloody hell with them!

Simples!

Comment

Morning
                Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Originally posted by TriggerHippy View Post
                  or Silverlight
                  In this particular instance (Cheese & Burger) it's definitely Flash.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                    I think Orange have bolloxed my Blackberry!
                    I had a sudden flashback 30 years to the days of Bananasoft and PeachTree Software and Apricot Computers. <shudder> Have we really come so little distance in marketing?

Mind you, that entire post would have been completely meaningless 30 years ago. SMS? 3g phone? Orange shop? Simples?

Except for the "Good morning CM". The greeting of the male of the species to the female. Some things remain eternal.

Hey ho.

Mornin' Doggie. Or licky kitty or whatever you're going to be today.

Now you are here on guard I can go back to prowling round General...

(This place needs a properly organised night shift.)

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
                      I had a sudden flashback 30 years to the days of Bananasoft and PeachTree Software and Apricot Computers. <shudder> Have we really come so little distance in marketing?
                      I spent a very happy few years working for Apricot Computers (or Mitsubishi Electric PC Division as it was then).

My primary job function towards the end of my time there was to manage the Quake server and generate the gibstats page for the intranet each morning. Happy days.

Comment

Working...
                      X