• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    I'm not sure I have many reasons to remain in this city any longer if this goes ahead. It's been going downhill for several years, and as it's going to become nothing more than a theme park for students, I'll be better off elsewhere.
    I thought you were in Leicester? I heard that it went downhill years ago.

I should add that I have never been there myself so have no real idea of what it is like.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
      Good evening!
      Hi

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
        I should add that I have never been there myself so have no real idea of what it is like.
        It's not like anything much now. It used to be like something, but the powers-that-be (controlled by the unelected cabal from DMU) are working hard to eradicate every last trace of anything that might give it some kind of individuality or character.

It's a bit like a Microsoft product now. It sort-of manages to meet the requirements, but that's all. It doesn't do so with any kind of grace. It doesn't have anything about it to make it appealing, and those things that are intended to make it appealing are just cosmetic, like the XP default desktop picture of Tellytubby land, which improves the utility of the system not a jot, and is also nowhere near as pleasing on the eye as MS apparently thought it was.

Steve Jobs once said that "The problem with Microsoft is they just have no taste. They have no taste and I don't mean that in a small way, I mean that in a big way." LCC and DMU are exactly the same. They trumpet the benefits of their supposed "improvements"; but at the end of the day, it's Windows ME writ large across the urban landscape.

Ah well - goodnight

Comment

My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

And now these philistines are planning to knock it down.
            It is desperately sad how much damage has been done to British towns and cities this past 60 years, especially the last 30. And all done under the control and approval of local authorities.

Out of town supermarkets have killed city centres, but it was back-handers to councillors that allowed it to happen.

Car parking restrictions in town centres finished off the last of the little shops; again benefiting nobody but out of town shopping centres. All approved by councillors on the take.

They've done it all in a secret deal, out of the public eye, using specious claims of commercial confidentiality as cover.
            Which is, of course, a blatant lie. What possible need is there for that? What possible benefit would there be if there were a need? Unless, of course, a councillors building firm, another councillor's demolition firm yet another councillors fitting-out firm are all getting the work.

If I could just find the money trail it might be possible to stop them even at this late stage; but after all the exposés of local government corruption in the Sixties and Seventies, these people have learnt to cover their tracks.
            It can be done.

The independent local paper in Aylesbury did manage to get all the councillors voted out by a determined campaign of exposure of corruption over some months.
            My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Greetings denizens

The local polytechnic, in cahoots with the city council, are planning to demolish my local for the sake of building some kind of aquarium to keep students in

They'll also destroy a remarkably fine bridge and the last remaining arches from the Great Central Railway viaduct.

That pub has seen the railway come and the railway go; IIRC, it was built around 1845. I've been drinking there for nearly twenty-one years. I worked there for two years, rising to the dizzy heights of assistant manager.

And now these philistines are planning to knock it down.

They've done it all in a secret deal, out of the public eye, using specious claims of commercial confidentiality as cover. The falling of the axe will be officially announced next week, but somebody leaked the details.

I know there's corruption at the heart of this. Anything that polytechnic wants to do, the council approves. It doesn't matter how many thousands of the people they're supposed to represent may oppose it; the council approves it anyway. It seems they won't be satisfied until the entire city has been turned into a campus - with the exception of the huge shopping centre that has (to nobody's surprise) killed most of the rest of the city centre, but presumably made somebody a lot of money in its construction.

If I could just find the money trail it might be possible to stop them even at this late stage; but after all the exposés of local government corruption in the Sixties and Seventies, these people have learnt to cover their tracks.

I'm not sure I have many reasons to remain in this city any longer if this goes ahead. It's been going downhill for several years, and as it's going to become nothing more than a theme park for students, I'll be better off elsewhere.

It was good while it lasted
              You have to fight them. I have a great and totally original plan. Dress as batman and climb on the roof until the decision is reversed!

Seriously : sorry to hear that. I bet there is still long way to go and sometimes these things fail for various reasons.

Comment

Super quiet day on tpd.

Comment

Baby bp still very unwell.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    Baby bp still very unwell.
                    Since WEdnesday he has had no milk. Drinking very diluted juice. Eating mostly bread/marmite/egg. But he enjoyed lentils yesterday lunch and I will give him more at noon.

Comment

I think its time to prepare baby bp's lunch

Comment

Working...
                      X