• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That must be 21 or 22 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
      The final ; is the killer if you don't notice it...
      Yup but if you notice in my original post I said favourite line of code.

Comment

I can remember stuff I wrote in the 1980s.
        I cant even remember girls I sh4gged in the 80s : let alone code I wrote.

Or is that because I never sh4gged any girls?

Comment

Or 23 or 24 years ago...

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
            Yup but if you notice in my original post I said favourite line of code.
            Indeed, I did notice...

Always a good line to slip in somewhere for a bit of a giggle...

Comment

I can remember stuff I wrote in the 1980s.
              I spent three months of 1985 writing one MicroFocus COBOL program. It had 12 overlayed segments and drove seven devices and acted as a POS terminal. As well as producing sales orders and purchases orders it also interfaced with the back-end mainframe charge card records and updated the stock records.

Prior to that we typically spent three months on a small system; three months on one program was unheard of. It ran to 160 pages of continuous stationery so got its very own hanging folder.
              Last edited by RichardCranium; 7 July 2009, 12:29. Reason: "spend" -> "spent"
              My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

I can't remember the last time I used an overlay.

I think it was in one of the GA16-220 programs...

Them were the days... 16k partitions

Comment

And the 8085 cross assember I wrote coz it was quicker than the Bluebox...

Then we got a Blue Thunder card for a pc (10MHz Z80) that ran the Intel utilities on the pc and that really flew.

Comment

Recollection!
                    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
                    one MicroFocus COBOL program
                    It was called PS01. It went through independent testing (an external testing firm was used by the client) and they found nothing that was approved for fixing by the client. No bugs were ever reported in it.

The external testing company were a nightmare. They raised well over a thousand 'faults' with the system. There were a few bugs (not in my code) but the rest were ridiculous; they were just trying to prove their existence worthwhile. Even the client was disappointed with them.

The most serious fault was that a sale would credit the client's company charge card and a payment at the till on the card would debit it. The testing company convinced the client it should be the other way around. Especially since the spec said it should be the other way round.

When I was told to change the code, there in my comments was:

Code:
                          *    The debit / credit logic here looks wrong.  I know it is not.
                          *    I raised it with the analyst in the document XXXXXXX
                          *    on dd/mm/1985 in which I query this and get told to code it
                          *    according to the spec.  But this time, I'm doing what I know
                          *    to be right, haven spoken to their mainframe programmer.
                          *    Hence, dear reader, the following is
                          *    NOT, repeat NOT, CODED AS SPECIFIED
                          *    but should NOT be changed.
                    The client eventually admitted all their other systems worked the same way as our programs, and that the spec as they had dictated it was wrong.

Go out with girls? Pah! That's for losers.
                    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

As I recall, we purchased two, the 2nd one came with the wrong software suite for a different Z80 card.

I phoned them up & asked them to send the right software & nothing happened.

Until we got a thingie from the small claims court for non payment... (thing didn't work so why should they get paid).

Fortunately, I'd sent the card & software back 3 weeks earlier...

Then we got our Septic outpost to buy the thing direct from California...

Sorted.

Comment

Working...
                      X