• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

<points> that way!

Comment

Originally posted by DS23 View Post
      <points> that way!
      Where?

Comment

<points again> there! over there!

Comment

<waves arm> come one! follow me!

Comment

<marches off>

Comment

<marches off>
              Somehow this reminds me of being at Longbarrow Crossroads roundabout on Summer Solstice 1986, an hour or so before dawn.
              Senior Copper: "If you pass this roadblock you'll be arrested. If you go to any other roadblock you'll be arrested. If you try to go over the fields you'll be arrested. If you try to go over the footpaths you'll be arrested."

Me: "OK."

</me and others walk away>
              </me turns round and addresses Senior Copper>

Me: "It must be really boring for you having to sit out here all night so you can tell us that "

<Senior Copper narrows eyes>
              <Senior Copper scrutinises closely in search of piss-taking>
              <Senior Copper finds only evidence of sincerity and commonality>
              Senior Copper: <slowly, and still suspecting a trap> "Yes, it is "
              Me: "Yeah, thought it must be. Anyway, thanks; hope it stays peaceful for all of us "

It was about 400 yards back to the roundabout. When we got there I glanced back, and he was still stood there. The other coppers had started heading back to the van but had then stopped, waiting for him; and he was silhouetted against the sky, arms folded across his chest, apparently trying to work out what I was up to

He didn't seem able to accept that I was just treating him as a person who had been cast into a role (as I was), and trying to get beyond that. He was sure I was up to something, and that said thing was directed at him. All I wanted to do was watch the sunrise, but I wanted to treat him decently too. Some people expect confrontation to such an extent that if you offer them non-confrontation they assume you're about to kick off

On the far side of the roundabout we met up with a large group, and hung about for ages - somebody had a radio and in those days the Police were on normal VHF channels, so we could hear them talking about us and catch the commentary from the chopper when they came hovering and some lass pulled her top up and showed it her tits - I know one should say "breasts", but she was shouting "Here, look at my tits you bastards" so I use the term she chose

Anyway, we all started to disperse, and my beloved was naturally wondering what we should do and where we should go. Having consulted my OS map, I pointed the way... and then it was

<marches off>
              (except that I said "come on!" rather than "come one!")

and we headed south along the A360 at about 5:30 in the morning

The rest of that day was a strange and wonderful time, full of many happy and/or peculiar occurrences. Sometime I shall tell that tale, and all who hear shall marvel

In the meantime:

<marches off>
              ...and off we go

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                Somehow this reminds me of being at Longbarrow Crossroads roundabout on Summer Solstice 1986, an hour or so before dawn.
                Senior Copper: "If you pass this roadblock you'll be arrested. If you go to any other roadblock you'll be arrested. If you try to go over the fields you'll be arrested. If you try to go over the footpaths you'll be arrested."

Me: "OK."

</me and others walk away>
                </me turns round and addresses Senior Copper>

Me: "It must be really boring for you having to sit out here all night so you can tell us that "

<Senior Copper narrows eyes>
                <Senior Copper scrutinises closely in search of piss-taking>
                <Senior Copper finds only evidence of sincerity and commonality>
                Senior Copper: <slowly, and still suspecting a trap> "Yes, it is "
                Me: "Yeah, thought it must be. Anyway, thanks; hope it stays peaceful for all of us "

It was about 400 yards back to the roundabout. When we got there I glanced back, and he was still stood there. The other coppers had started heading back to the van but had then stopped, waiting for him; and he was silhouetted against the sky, arms folded across his chest, apparently trying to work out what I was up to

He didn't seem able to accept that I was just treating him as a person who had been cast into a role (as I was), and trying to get beyond that. He was sure I was up to something, and that said thing was directed at him. All I wanted to do was watch the sunrise, but I wanted to treat him decently too. Some people expect confrontation to such an extent that if you offer them non-confrontation they assume you're about to kick off

On the far side of the roundabout we met up with a large group, and hung about for ages - somebody had a radio and in those days the Police were on normal VHF channels, so we could hear them talking about us and catch the commentary from the chopper when they came hovering and some lass pulled her top up and showed it her tits - I know one should say "breasts", but she was shouting "Here, look at my tits you bastards" so I use the term she chose

Anyway, we all started to disperse, and my beloved was naturally wondering what we should do and where we should go. Having consulted my OS map, I pointed the way... and then it was

(except that I said "come on!" rather than "come one!")

and we headed south along the A360 at about 5:30 in the morning

The rest of that day was a strange and wonderful time, full of many happy and/or peculiar occurrences. Sometime I shall tell that tale, and all who hear shall marvel

In the meantime:

...and off we go
                I remember those summers well.

Of course I was still at school in Salisbury and taking O'levels in English Language and Mathematics in 1986, but every summer was the same - there would be a big influx of hippies and trouble-makers at the time of the summer solstice.

The police loved all that stuff, and the miners' strike - they got the chance to earn some serious overtime.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                  .... The rest of that day was a strange and wonderful time, full of many happy and/or peculiar occurrences. Sometime I shall tell that tale, and all who hear shall marvel
                  bring it on!

Comment

<ouch!> (just poked myself in the eye!)

idiot.

Comment

time for a fresh coffee methinks.

Comment

Working...
                      X