• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tired.

Bed.

Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Greetings denizens

I am dumbfounded, awestruck, amazed, astonished... all those kinds of things

For the first time ever in TRW (The Real World) I have met somebody who claims to have actually played one of the games I coded in my time as a games programmer

He's the boyfriend of one of the barmaids (is one still allowed to call them that?) at the FMB bar. He's building a very good career for himself as a sound engineer down in London, so he's only here occasionally; she pointed him towards me as somebody to talk to while she's working because of my involvement with commercial radio, and therefore the music industry (which, despite the name, is all about "commercial" and has nothing to do with "music" - a fact he ruefully admitted to having discovered for himself the first time we met).

Of course I no longer have anything to do with that, but he's a nice enough bloke and always interesting to chat to.

Anyway, I'd started rambling - oops, I mean I mentioned that I used to code games, and he asked what I'd worked on. I named a few names but when I mentioned Ubisoft's Night Hunter on the Amiga his face lit up: "No way, I remember that!"

Of course he had a ripped copy from his mate, but who cares; I didn't get royalties for cross-platform conversions

Anyway, it's nice to have met somebody who claims to have actually used the damn thing. It consumed a year of my life, and is probably the reason my hair went grey so early in life. If some young software pirate got an evanescent kick out of it, my work here is done

Comment

Originally posted by BrowneIssue;850691
        She made some ginger biscuits (very [B
        scummy[/B] dunked in milk).
        scrummy

Unless, of course...

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
        She received the email: confirming her place on an MSc course she wants to do.
        Mrs BI FTW!

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
          There are some days that suck.
          There are days that suck sweaty balls.
          And there are days like today that make me wonder why the hell I keep trying.

You keep trying because, at the end of the day, there's always TPD - "Where everybody knows your username"

Comment

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
            I expect I'll see that repeated on another web site's 'News Bulletin' within 10 minutes...
            A year-and-a-bit ago, a fellow contractor at Then-Client-Corp was most taken aback to find his Twitter post (I refuse to call them "tweets") about being stuck on a train that had come to a stand of indefinite duration somewhere north of Doncaster had been incorporated into the sidebar of ajaxian.com

Serves him right for making a name for himself

Comment

I'm beginning to get worried now

The ceiling has taken to making clicking noises, as if it's thinking of creaking, then backing off and contenting itself with a click. They come from different positions, and are of differing intensities.

I hope it's not about to come crashing down

On the other hand, certain aspects of it remind me of the noises made by stupid moths blundering into things over and over again; but I see no moth.

Oh well, time will tell - hopefully in a good way

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                FFS, I look at the front page of that sometimes and I have to wonder what's wrong with these idiots

If they're so desperate to write something that has the performance of a desktop app, why don't they go away and write a desktop app? All this shenanigans demonstrates an epic failure to grasp the nature of - well, just about everything, really.

Hint from the woodworkers, chaps: if it's really hard to make something work against the grain, you might consider working with the grain rather than inventing an anti-grain device that's probably going to fail the first time the grain runs in a different direction... or there's a knot

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                  You keep trying because, at the end of the day, there's always TPD - "Where everybody knows your username"

Comment

Morning all

Comment

BrilloPad 22,599
                      zeitghost 17,718
                      cailin maith 12,930
                      voodooflux 12,313
                      Diver 11,126
                      DS23 10,976
                      BrowneIssue 10,561
                      NickFitz 10,059
                      TheFaQQer 9,670