• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi DS

Hi cojak

This 3 modem dongly thingy is still very variable; it seems to have improved slightly recently, to the point where I can now identify times when its proxies are doing stupid things, rather than it just being generally poor service.

Sometimes it seems that its proxies between here and the Internet side have been configured with very short timeouts after which they give up, but never report this back through whatever layers lie between them and my connection, thereby leaving things hanging. This suspicion is bolstered by the fact that sometimes, one might try to reload a page that has hung, thereby initiating a totally new HTTP request, and the page will arrive almost straight away; and this from sites like the BBC.

I suspect something like:

Code:
    Me -> Dongle -> 3 -> 3internal ~~~ -> 3external -> 3cache -> t'Internet
    where when 3external cn't get it from the 3cache within a certain time it just hangs, and fails to return a response of any kind. Meanwhile, the 3cache has got it, but finds that the original connection making the request has been dropped. Then, when I initiate the request again, it just comes straight from the cache and provides an (almost) immediate response.

This theory may be supported by the fact that no CUK page provides any cacheing information (no ETag, no nuffink), meaning that a full round-trip request has to be made every time; and TPD in particular can be slow at times (I must contact the admins to suggest ways to fix that - it's database-bound, basically) which, if anything between 3internal and 3external times out before 3cache can pass through the response that it won't cache, would lead to the kinds of patterns of fail that I'm beginning to identify - signal in the noise.

Give me enough failures, and I'll eventually find a consistency there; although it could be just me seeing an elephant in the clouds. Still, more data should help to make things apparent. Alternatively, let me into 3's network staff's office with a cudgel

Comment

...and, typical of 3, it took me four - count 'em! FOUR attempts to submit the previous post - three during which I could achieve HTTP GETs to CUK with no problem; but I had to disconnect and reconnect before my fourth attempt at posting made it through

Somebody should tell them that this Internet thing goes both ways

Comment

Anyway, that was Sailing By and the Shipping Forecast has commenced - I'm betting on "Continuous Light Drizzle" in Liverpool Crosby

Goodnight denizens

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          Anyway, that was Sailing By and the Shipping Forecast has commenced - I'm betting on "Continuous Light Drizzle" in Liverpool Crosby

Goodnight denizens
          "Recent Rain" - well, nearly right

Comment

Evening all

Comment

Originally posted by DS23 View Post
              and who knows what we might accomplish!
              DS23
              TPDeity

century

Comment

I am on 11-7 shift today.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                  Evening DS!
                  morning wholovesyababy!

Comment

ipod still buggered. overnight it synched absolutely nothing. it might be a permissions thing...

Comment

Morning drivellers
                      Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Working...
                      X