• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
    Does anyone read the overnight posts any more?

Comment

"With Gonzo gone (also the smell)
      I'm sat here by myself.
      Alone. Unwanted. Unloved me.
      Just sat here on the shelf.

I'm sat here by myself.
      Alone.
      No messages.
      No mobile phone.

No SMS. No text. No mail.
      It's furkin' excellent! No FAIL!"
      It may be because I've just got in from the Pub/FMB Bar "experience", but I like that one

Comment

One (among many) from Roger McGough that I've always liked:

I have outlived my youthfulness
        So a quiet life for me.
        Where once I used to scintillate
        Now I sin till ten past three.

Comment

"Our friend Gonzo just popped in here
          He gave his view; he spoke his part.
          But there was something more, I fear.
          What is that phew? Did he just fart?"
          You used to be able to get away with that in the days that you could still smoke inside the pub.

You could just light up a cigarette and noone would be any the wiser.

Queen did a song about that - "Play the Game"

When you're feeling down and your resistance is low.
          Light another cigarette and let yourself go.

Comment

Anyway, I discovered an interesting (YMMV) aspect of the whole getting-used-to-the-new-glasses thing tonight.

By dint of moving my head from side to side whilst moving my eyes in the opposite direction (I know how to enjoy a Saturday night) I was able to establish that I am no longer perceiving a spherical projection.

Obviously, if one looks around from a fixed point, one expects the different points of the world at which one looks to remain a constant distance away, as if upon the surface of an infinite number of spheres whereof one is at the centre. However, the new specs offer a different projection to the previous specs, such that things will appear to change their distance depending on the angle from which I view them.

Of course the previous projection by the previous specs would itself have been similarly anomalous; but that is what my brain has adjusted itself to. Now it will have to rewire itself to the new projection. In a few days this phenomenon will no longer be available to me - not just no longer apparent, but actually impossible for me to perceive, for the rewiring of my visual cortex will have eliminated the possibility of the sensory input from my eyes being interpreted into mental perceptions in such a way as to reveal the distortion

One thing I have to guard against is the brain trying to simply pull muscles about to make my eyes see things the way it wants; unfortunately, it's been doing that for ages to make the old specs usable. I've found that looking at something a certain distance away (the appropriate distance changes depending on the situation - further away outside, nearer indoors) allows the muscles around the eye to relax, whilst still provoking the anomalous non-spherical perception, so I'll have to consciously work at encouraging the brain to rewire itself by regularly relaxing the eyes in this manner.

In the meantime, I'm having great fun analysing all this stuff and gaining further insights into the relationship between sensory data and mental perceptions
            Last edited by NickFitz; 10 May 2009, 02:25.

Comment

Morning
              Bazza gets caught
              Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Morning all

After church we are off to Hever castle......

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  Morning all

After church we are off to Hever castle......
                  Sounds like lots of fun!!
                  Bazza gets caught
                  Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
                    Sounds like lots of fun!!
                    What are you up to today?

Comment

Morning all

I had an honourable mention in that ridiculous "Bring Back StarTrek(tm)" thing on C4 last night.

Comment

Working...
                      X