• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right, that's the washing done.

The only downside to the new gig is that one is expected to wear those shirts with buttons and trousers with creases, like the clothes you see people wearing in offices on the telly. I haven't worked anywhere that didn't allow jeans and t-shirts in about six years - in fact, in my entire career I've hardly ever worked anywhere that had any kind of dress code

Comment

Hello denizens, if denizens there be

The fairly new lass at the FMB bar managed to tip a full pint of beer over myself and the two customers stood next to me tonight

It turned out that the couple next to me were actually the managers of the bar she worked in previously - cue comments such as "If you think that's bad, you should see what she's like if you let her in the kitchen!"

These things happen... the incident led me to recollect that one time I managed to accidentally spill a gin and tonic over a customer

If you think about it, it's inevitable. I daresay everybody has accidentally spilt a drink - in the sense of it going everywhere in the direction it tips - at some time. If you're working on a bar, you're handling some thousands of drinks a month. Let's assume 3,000/month, on the basis of an individual serving one drink every two minutes (== 30/hour), over a five hour shift (== 150/shift), working five shifts a week (== 750/week), leading to 34,500 drinks a year on the basis of 46 working weeks.

It seems reasonable to expect that a person with normal physical co-ordination will spill a drink maybe once in a hundred thousand times. This means that somebody working full-time behind a bar will tip a drink over, on average, around every three years.

When you accidentally tip one over, it's most likely to be in the direction of the customer, as you seldom pull a glass back towards you.

So, assuming that the quadrant facing the customer is the most likely place for it to go (because you're almost always placing the glass before the customer), followed by it tipping over to the left quadrant when it slips out of the hand (most likely because most people are right-handed), then by it tipping over to the right quadrant when it slips out of the hand (because some people are left-handed), and finally tipping back towards the server in the rear quadrant, we can probably assume:

Forward: 0.7, Left: 0.2, Right: 0.08, Rear: 0.02.

So it's probable that the average bar person will tip a drink over in the direction of the customer every 1 / 0.7 * 3 == 4.286 years.

And tonight, it happened, and I was stood in just the wrong place

Calculating the probability of that is left as an exercise for the reader

Comment

Good morning all!

Morning CM! Have you finished being yet?

NF, ask CM how many times she spilled a drink last night...
        Last edited by Churchill; 12 April 2009, 06:17.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          Right, that's the washing done.

The only downside to the new gig is that one is expected to wear those shirts with buttons and trousers with creases, like the clothes you see people wearing in offices on the telly. I haven't worked anywhere that didn't allow jeans and t-shirts in about six years - in fact, in my entire career I've hardly ever worked anywhere that had any kind of dress code

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
            Good morning all!

Morning CM! Have you finished being yet?

NF, ask CM how many times she spilled a drink last night...
            Can I ask instead please?

Comment

morning all

Comment

Morning all...

sunny...

Comment

<cough>

Gosh.

It's smoky in here...

<cough>

Comment

Originally posted by voodooflux View Post

El VooDooFlux

got
                    a
                    00*

!!!
                    !!!Two In A Row!!!
                    !!!One Polonium!!!
                    !!!bonus Mark!!!
                    !!!Awarded**!!!
                    !!!

Merely for completeness or something

*subject to revision in the event of newbie posts...
                    **This one glows a pretty blue colour in the dark. Don't stand too close to it...
                    Trees are still happy...
                    Last edited by zeitghost; 12 April 2009, 08:31.

Comment

Originally posted by zara_backdog View Post
                      Di de

El ZaraBackDog

got
                      a
                      00*

!!!
                      !!!

Merely for completeness or something

*subject to revision in the event of newbie posts...

Trees are still happy...
                      Last edited by zeitghost; 12 April 2009, 08:31.

Comment

Working...
                      X