• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bobsyouruncle View Post
    Not recently no, I tend to use Spotify
    Yeah, I use that on my PC but I've got the Last.fm app on my iPhone so I was hoping to be able to train it while I'm at home and then listen to recommended stuff while I'm on the move. Unfortunately its recommendations are pants.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
      Has anybody used last.fm much? I'm having great difficulty getting it too play anything approaching decent music.
      I use it a fair bit, but not for streaming unfortunately.
      Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Evening denizens

I was able to stay late again, and polish up my overengineered admin thingy - it works!

The idea is that, if there's a problem with an online promotion (say the database is unwell, or whatever) they can use this to temporarily prevent people from attempting to register, showing a "sorry, try again later" page.

When briefing me on the requirements, the chap said he wasn't sure of the best approach; I couldn't rely on the database, as it might be what was wrong. He suggested that I could create a file, and test for its existence on every request

I pointed out that Apache is already doing that - looking for an .htaccess file.

So my solution simply copies an .htaccess file into the right place which rewrites all requests to go to the "sorry, we fail" page. When things can be turned back on, it simply deletes it.

There's no additional server overhead in normal operation; if the admin server fails they can re-enable stuff by ssh-ing into the live server and removing the file manually; and the user doesn't get a redirect to an error page (the rewriting happens only on the server) meaning the URL in the location bar is still valid if they want to switch to another tab, then come back later and try a reload. All in all, an elegant solution

(That last point is the most important one, IMHO. I've even ranted about it, then ranted about it some more )

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
          Evening

Originally posted by zara_backdog View Post
          Evening all

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
          Evening all!

Comment

Right, I think I've earned some dinner

I'll have to catch up with this afternoon's TPD later

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              Right, I think I've earned some dinner

I'll have to catch up with this afternoon's TPD later

Enjoy!!
              Bazza gets caught
              Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                Evening all!
                Hey
                Bazza gets caught

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
                  I thought so too - I was #01 but now I am #00

Someone deleted a post
                  It's getting silly now...
                  Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
                    Evening BI

How you feeling today?

Comment

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
                      It wasn't me...
                      Bazza gets caught

Comment

Working...
                      X