• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early night tonight methinks, although I think that nap earlier may have taken the edge off my tiredness. I'll probably like awake until about 2.00am now, then be completely knackered again in the morning
    Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Yep, definately time for bed
      Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
        Do you want to know about:
        - the high blood pressure not getting better;
        - the symptoms of the high blood pressure treatment;
        - the newly diagnosed psoriasis;
        - the labyrinthitis?

Her Ladyship is refusing to take me to the dump. She's so cruel.

Sounds like you have a multitude of conditions

Manly hug for the use of ->

Comment

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
          We had a Deputy Headmaster who issued essays to be written during school detention.

"The Mating Cycle of the Chimneypot" was one I had.

"Things I Found in my Bellybutton Last Summer" was another I recall.

Apparently he could rattle these things off continuously.

Do we need a "Suggestions for drivel" thread?
          I once had a detention that ought to have been a drill - detentions were intended for infractions such as failing to do prep (which would then be done during the period of detention) whereas drills were intended as a punishment for infractions of the disciplinary code (which operated on a Common Law basis).

The teacher who'd been stuck with administering detention that week (it was 5PM - 6PM on a Saturday) seemed a bit disgruntled when I and several others present on the same false accusation pointed out that we actually had no outstanding work to do, and he had to dig through the detention slips.

The teacher who had (wrongly) accused us had specified that we should write a book review; but as he hadn't told any of us this, and it was Saturday teatime, none of us had any books with us (I'd been home and had tea and then got a lift back from my Mum, who recognised the injustice on this occasion).

The teacher taking detention got even more annoyed when we pointed out that we had no books to review, and told us to raid the lockers of the form room in which detention was held and write a review of something from there.

As a result, I spent an hour of my youth flipping through some other pupil's copy of The Bible, and reviewing it as if it was a recently-published novel.

I came down heavily on the author's lack of definition and consistency - particularly the way the central character, "God", was very loosely drawn, and seemed to vary widely in his characteristics, sometimes smiting, sometimes merciful, without the author ever providing any clear rationale for this wildly varying behaviour.

(Of course I didn't know about post-modernism then, which allows one to write any old tosh and not have to explain it )

Is it Deuteronomy that goes on and on about "...and Flimflam begat Buggins, and Buggins begat Oojimaflips..."? Or am I thinking of Numbers?

Whichever one it is, it came in for some coruscation about the author's failure to construct a meaningful narrative, relying instead on mere recitation of detail

Comment

Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
            Don't get any ideas now!
            Me, throwing stones at visitors?

I'd need some first

Twycross Zoo had a wonderful silverback gorilla. He'd lounge about as you came in, give you time enough to start discussing him (and therefore not be wholly focused on him), then suddenly leap up, rush over, and give the (plexi)glass an almighty thump

He only did it because he liked seeing the shock on people's faces , but they had to keep a member of staff sat there to reassure visitors that he was only winding them up

He freaked me right out when he did it to me

Sadly, about a year or so ago, he died in his sleep

Comment

I've been up half an hour and still no Scourer.

Does that mean it is evening or morning?

We've had NickFitz so it is past the end of the evening.

Therefore, legally, it is still the middle of the night.

Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
                Don't get popping to the shed to do a "Sir Ranulph" with a Black & Decker will you!
                Indeed. TPD has a poor reputation for hand-related injuries...
                Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

Sounds like you have a multitude of conditions

Manly hug for the use of ->
                  That's what comes of being home off sick - everything else catches up with you.

Thank you for the huggle. I've woken up with the grots today and needed one.

Comment

Is it Deuteronomy that goes on and on about "...and Flimflam begat Buggins, and Buggins begat Oojimaflips..."? Or am I thinking of Numbers?

Whichever one it is, it came in for some coruscation about the author's failure to construct a meaningful narrative, relying instead on mere recitation of detail
                    Of course it was, it was a young Clement Freud in Just A Testament from the Book of Scripts. He had to go for an hour and was doing one of his lists; you know what he's like. (It ended when a giggling - indeed surprisingly boyish - Kenneth Williams buzzed him with just two seconds to go for repetition of 'begat'.)

Comment

Twycross Zoo had a wonderful silverback gorilla. He'd lounge about as you came in, give you time enough to start discussing him (and therefore not be wholly focused on him), then suddenly leap up, rush over, and give the (plexi)glass an almighty thump

He only did it because he liked seeing the shock on people's faces , but they had to keep a member of staff sat there to reassure visitors that he was only winding them up

He freaked me right out when he did it to me
                      Hee hee hee!

Sadly, about a year or so ago, he died in his sleep
                      There are worse ways...

Anyway, there is plenty of amusement and interest to be found in this video.

Comment

Working...
                      X