• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    Night

I'm off to pack now. Back next week
    Night. Have a good one
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it" - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Hmm. Two more posts (well one after this) will move me up one more above alreadypacked.
      "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it" - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

My little one asked me today "where is the scariest place you've ever been?"

It got me thinking ........

Comment

Originally posted by ControlG View Post
          My little one asked me today "where is the scariest place you've ever been?"

It got me thinking ........
          Immediately some of the ClientCo's sprung to mind

... but then I tried to think of somewhere that I genuinely found scary.

I assumed that she meant scary as in an uncomfortable feeling (e.g. ghostlike) rather than frightened for my safety.

Comment

Immediately some of the ClientCo's sprung to mind

... but then I tried to think of somewhere that I genuinely found scary.

I assumed that she meant scary as in an uncomfortable feeling (e.g. ghostlike) rather than frightened for my safety.
            Some years ago (6 or 7 I think) I was on a weekend break with the family in Northumberland.

We went for a drive and ended up parked by a ford across a river by a small cottage. We got out and went for a walk along the very picturesque river. After about 5 mins I felt very uncomfortable. I'd never felt like it before in my life and never have since. The odd thing was so did my wife and the children.

We decided to return to the car and left.

Funny thing is now I've described it to my little one, I'm under pressure to go and find the place again but I have no memory of where it was or near. TBH not sure I'd want to go back!

Comment

Off to bed now.

Over to the night shift

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
                Been trying to get into Twitter recently. I don't really get it. I think my life is probably too boring.
                You have a real life, rather than needing to use t'Internet to tell some random fsckwit on the far side of the planet that you just ate a slice of toast.

Comment

Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
                  I remember going to see West Brom play at Reading in an F.A. Cup replay a few years ago. Had a nightware 4 hour journey there, then West Brom were 2 - 0 up at half time. Bloody Reading then equalised in the second half, but didn't have the decency to finish us off there. Oh no, the buggers made me freeze my arse off through extra time before scoring the winner against us. Then I had a 2 hour drive home.

As Johnny Rotten said: "Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?"

Association Football nowadays is a form of punk-rock-alike exploitation of human activity that merely makes money for Rupert Murdoch via his Sky Sports franchise.

When I was a kid (like, six or seven years old) I used to go with my brother and his mates to see South Liverpool play.

They've built a supermarket there now. That's how important the sport is in relation to the community.

Soccer might have made sense when it was something tied to one's own community. Now, it's just a way for big business to make money from you. How many players nowadays grew up anywhere near where they play?

I don't actually despise soccer as a game, although it doesn't interest me. I do despise the way global corporations exploit the sense of community loyalty that they avidly suggest (via cunning marketing strategies) surrounds it, when it is quite clear that such community aspects of the game were already being destroyed in the Sixties, and are most certainly non-existent now.

YMMV.

Comment

Some years ago (6 or 7 I think) I was on a weekend break with the family in Northumberland.

We went for a drive and ended up parked by a ford across a river by a small cottage. We got out and went for a walk along the very picturesque river. After about 5 mins I felt very uncomfortable. I'd never felt like it before in my life and never have since. The odd thing was so did my wife and the children.

We decided to return to the car and left.

Funny thing is now I've described it to my little one, I'm under pressure to go and find the place again but I have no memory of where it was or near. TBH not sure I'd want to go back!
                    Interesting. You should read the book Ghost and Divining Rod by T. C. Lethbridge.

I'm not saying the book's not just a load of weird nonsense about dowsing (although dating from, IIRC, 1962, it can't be accused of being "New Age"), but that feeling one sometimes gets for no apparent reason at a certain place is one of the main things he writes about in there. I came across the book in the town library in the Seventies, and found it quite intriguing. I found a copy (which I hopefully still have somewhere) in a second-hand bookshop some years later; but it's been many years since I last read it.

He was an archaeologist at Cambridge University, so he had some experience of odd places. His speculations about the reasons why a mood may come to be, in and of itself, associated with a physical place such that it transmits itself to those unwary travellers who find themselves there are very interesting. Probably nonsense, but certainly food for contemplation and speculation about those aspects of what we call "reality" that are hidden from us by the particular set of societal constructs defining the nature of "truth" and "reality" that we are heirs to.

After all, "nonsense" has to be defined in relation to some conception of what constitutes "sense"; and many cultures and civilisations have flourished over the millennia through which we moderately-clever apes have been roaming this Earth whose idea of "making sense" wasn't dependent on the maunderings of Plato, Aristotle, or Descartes.

Comment

Go, go back to bed.

You know you want to.

The Parkie Smiley said it's OK:
                      Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Working...
                      X