• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just had some pâté on toast - now about to consume a chocolate eclair

Comment

My new printer hasn't arrived yet

so much for next day delivery!!
      Si posse, recte, si non, quocumque modo rem

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        Just had some pâté on toast - now about to consume a chocolate eclair
        I had a chocolate eclair the other night too. It was very nice.

HTH.

Comment

AAAAAGH!

NTL (or Virgin or whatever they're called this week) have changed my IP address.

This means I've had to waste loads of time SSHing into my EC2 server, revoking access privileges for the old address and setting them up for the new one, then do the same for the MySQL admin account

Finally got things working again now

Comment

AAAAAGH!

NTL (or Virgin or whatever they're called this week) have changed my IP address.

This means I've had to waste loads of time SSHing into my EC2 server, revoking access privileges for the old address and setting them up for the new one, then do the same for the MySQL admin account

Finally got things working again now
            Can you make use of dynamic DNS at all, or is the access control based only on IP addresses?
            Last edited by voodooflux; 30 January 2009, 17:34.
            Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
              Can you make use of dynamic DNS at all, or is the access control based only on IP addresses?
              As part of my "I must sort out the internet at home properly" effort last night (iPlate et al), I finally got around to setting up a DynDNS account; as my router supports auto updating of it!

I was disappointed to find that the router (a Netgear) didn't support port forwarding, and there appears to be no easy way (2 google searches, anything more is challenging!) to change the port of the inbuilt VNC server in Mac OSX Leopard....

... and there is no way I am opening up port 5900 on my router. No ta.

Comment

Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
                The firewall at Amazon's end imposes a very strict security model. As far as I can tell, if you open a port (e.g. 3306 for MySQL) you have to specify an IP address or range, not a hostname - and obviously I don't want to open the database server up to a range of randomly-assigned Virgin IP addresses, even though there's only a minimal chance of some random bot on some local loser's machine trying to break into MySQL and happening across my server. So, when my IP changes, I have to close off the old IP address and open things up for the new one. Still, the Elasticfox FF extension makes that part pretty easy.

The MySQL server checks privileges for the incoming user and host combination, but when it does a reverse DNS lookup on the IP address the hostname it gets is something like cpc1-town8-0-0-cust666.twn5.cable.ntl.com, which also changes when the IP address changes. Once I SSH in (which uses keypairs) and use the MySQL command line to grant the requisite privileges to 'user'@'123.123.123.12', I'm then able to use the GUI-based MySQL admin tools on my laptop to connect and get rid of the old hostnames associated with 'user'. I could grant those privileges to 'user' for any host, but again that's potentially risky if some bot or hacker is trying the door handles (despite my very secure password).

The real problem was that this is the first time my IP address has changed since I set this lot up, so when a connection profile that worked yesterday suddenly stopped working, it took me a while to work out what was going on

Comment

Originally posted by HeliCraig View Post
                  I was disappointed to find that the router (a Netgear) didn't support port forwarding, and there appears to be no easy way (2 google searches, anything more is challenging!) to change the port of the inbuilt VNC server in Mac OSX Leopard....
                  That's a bit pants - what Netgear model is it?

Comment

Originally posted by HeliCraig View Post
                    As part of my "I must sort out the internet at home properly" effort last night (iPlate et al), I finally got around to setting up a DynDNS account; as my router supports auto updating of it!

... and there is no way I am opening up port 5900 on my router. No ta.
                    My Netgear router supports port forwarding: it's in the admin interface under "Advanced". It's a WPN824v2, for what that's worth.

Comment

The real problem was that this is the first time my IP address has changed since I set this lot up, so when a connection profile that worked yesterday suddenly stopped working, it took me a while to work out what was going on
                      Makes me appreciate the static IP I get from Be*

Comment

Working...
                      X