• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah, paypal says that I've paid for it now.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

That's good. I hope it arrives by Friday, and it fits (and that she'll wear it)
      Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Right, it's time for bed.

So much for the early night

Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          That's good. I hope it arrives by Friday, and it fits (and that she'll wear it)
          And that she believes that the incorrect name on the packaging is a computer error

Comment

alert

Thinking about what I've seen so far about this possible gig, I strongly suspect that they think it's an easy bit of coding.

Having done something very similar last year, I know it's not.

The best algorithms are O(n^2); alternative but less satisfactory algorithms have complexity lower than that, but the simple solution is still impractical.

However, knowing their problem set, I have devised a strategy for convincing them of this - after all, if I just say "It's harder than that" they might think I'm trying to upsell them. I'm not; it's a computationally hard problem that people think should be easy. (I thought that when I first set out to solve it.)

Therefore I shall implement three alternative solutions to their problem which I can demonstrate to them, using actual data scraped from their site (unless they offer an API, in which case I can use live data), so as to convince them that their problems are bigger than they imagine, and I am the one to solve them. Of course, the best (and therefore most costly) of these solutions includes some very nice ideas I came up with this evening that provide major usability advantages - and even better, mainly use free (as in beer) data

There's a reasonable chance that I'll actually solve the problem by constructing the demo, and simply have to integrate the solution with their systems. In that case, my solution becomes a software product, and I sell them a licence to use it whilst offering consultancy services for the integration phase.

That sounds like a plan

(And the :smokin smiley having first place as I type this seems like a good omen. Still, it could all result in epic fail and I'll have driven to Richmond for nothing. Ho hum )

Comment

Morning
              Bazza gets caught
              Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
                Morning
                Morning.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
                  Morning.
                  Hey big nose, you ok?
                  Bazza gets caught
                  Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                    That sounds like a plan
                    Be confident, and follow that plan. The worst that will happen is that they laugh at you and put you on a contract. Don't ask ... don't get.

Sorry for being patronising, I've only just got out of bed. I suspect I might not be in work for 08:00 today.
                    Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
                      Hey big nose, you ok?
                      Yeah, good today thanks.

I read a story in the paper here today. It was about an artificial reef built in the bay at Mt Maunganui that isn't working to create waves suitable for surfers as had been hoped.

The sorry story has descended into mutual recriminations with the supplier claiming that they weren't given enough money blah, blah, blah.

That aside, the story did mention that the webcam that records the surf has recorded surfers there 18 times in the past six months. That webcam is in Tay Street.

I thought, "Blimey, what a coincidence!"

You can read all about it here if you can be bothered:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10554007 (SFW)

Comment

Working...
                      X