• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
    Up to 30th October 2008, 20:11, post number 129131.

I'm bored, tired and going to bed.

I hope it wasn't my posts that were boring you

Not that I'd be too surprised

Comment

Anyway, as I was about to say...

Arriving home tonight, the hinges on the front gate creaked really loudly - it's yer typical wrought-iron gate with vertical bars, stands about waist height, doubtless made from the cheapest ingredients as it was (I'm guessing here, but probably correct) installed by the City Council when they turned this into a conservation area years ago, and wanted to implement a consistent look-and-feel across the terrace (except, oddly enough, for the mid-terrace properties that they themselves owned and used as some kind of "Centre" until lack of funds forced them to sell them recently).

Anyway, I've been meaning for months to oil those hinges, but they only creak when I'm coming in or going out, and I don't normally carry oil cans about with me.

Tonight however I grabbed a can of WD40, went back out, and gave them a damn good spray.

Somebody went past as I finished spraying the bottom hinge and, standing up, I realised it was an old acquaintance of mine who lives round the corner.

"Hi Roger!" said I, and the poor chap jumped out of his skin - of course he hadn't seen me crouching down behind the gate, so this greeting suddenly booming out behind him was totally unexpected

I explained what I was doing, and he nodded sympathetically: "Oh, it's been disturbing you when it creaks as people go in and out?"

"No, it doesn't bother me," said I, "but I was worried that it might be disturbing the neighbours or whoever when I go in or out, so I decided to sort it."

The vaguely confused look on his face served to remind me that, as a die-hard Tory, he's always confused by the idea of somebody doing something that may or may not be for the benefit of others that they don't even know

He's a nice chap really, but I think he took Thatcher's "No such thing as Society" garbage a bit too much to heart

Comment

Oh dear, it's ended up being late again

Night all

Comment

Morning
          Bazza gets caught
          Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
            Yeah, making it out to be in the distant future can be a good distraction. It's when it actually happens within the circle of family and friends that it really hits home with them and the questions start again. We've had quite a few funerals in the family recently, but I've not taken the kids to any of them yet.
            It's a bit of a tough one that.... at home kids go to funerals and are invaiably surrounded by old people, grandparents who live with them etc. I'm not saying it's right or anything but I guess it gives you an "understanding" from a very young age about death and funerals.

I think the best thing is the fact that we nearly always have a wake of some discription - yes, it turns into a pit of a piss up but it's laughs and tears and funny stories and a celebration of life rather than simply grieveing about death.

I dunno maybe I will feel differently when I have kids of my own...

Originally posted by Bumfluff View Post
            I need a rant ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ahhhhhhhhh

Ex is frolicking me around on the house and £ to buy her out, offered her £3k she agreed she now wants another £3k total £6k, her equity in house is about £2k. Only way Im going to end up paying her £3k is to take her to court, costs are high and don't need the hassle. Principles tell me not to give her the money and see it through with solicitors but at £200 an hour and nearly £1k in fees already it isnt cheap, part of me just wants it done, but I am looved to give her the extra money, we werent even married !
            BF - maybe offer her another £1 and tell her to **** off or you will take her to court. Tell her you would rather give the fees to the court and suffer the hassle of all that than give her another penny more!!
            Bazza gets caught

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
              Morning
              morning sweet pea

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
                morning sweet pea
                Hey Monkey
                Bazza gets caught

Comment

Morning all.

Off to catch up.... see you in a bit!

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                    I'd be perfectly happy if they binned the rest of it and just left TPD, standing alone in its jewel-like splendour
                    WHS.

Comment

morning

Comment

Working...
                      X