• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
    BrilloPad 19,098
    zeitghost 15,202
    cailin maith 11,434
    Diver 11,044
    DS23 10,001
    TheFaQQer 9,041
    BrowneIssue 8,564
    NickFitz 8,560
    FiveTimes 6,878
    voodooflux 6,003
    Bear 5,617
    El_Diablo 4,256
    Jog On 2,282
    DiscoStu 2,244
    Fortune Green 2,215
    HeliCraig 1,546

Comment

I recently binned a very large box of 3.5" floppies, but kept a few for sentimental reasons

I've put them with my 5.25" floppies and 100MB Zip disks
      You threw stuff away...

I've got an 80 column punch card and a 8 inch floppy on the top of my pc...

The 8" drives are in my garage.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
        The 8" drives are in my garage.
        They must some small cars to fit on an 8" drive in your garage?

Surely too small for a monster?

IGMC.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          Baby now having a kip : I am going for one as well.

Then it is time to dye my hair ready for interview Monday!
          Grecian 2000?

Comment

Originally posted by HeliCraig View Post
            IGMC.
            Please do. And if you're popping out grab us some chocolate will you.
            Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              Back again

I nipped down to M&S to grab a birthday present for my mum, then over to Sainsbury's for some bits and bobs.

The car was frozen, so I had to sit in it for ten minutes running the engine before I could set off.

Everything was fine until I got back into it at Sainsbury's - starter motor turned over, but the engine resolutely refused to fire

Tried about five or six times, but no joy. I gave it ten seconds rest whilst contemplating digging the RAC's number out of the glove compartment.

Luckily, the next time I tried, it managed to fire up after turning over five or six times

I think it might have been a bit of condensation getting into the electrics when it cooled down. Not that I have any idea about these things
              It's a Ford.

It's what they do...

Comment

Please do. And if you're popping out grab us some chocolate will you.
                I will not be leaving the office. Too cold & wet.
                Think of it as a diet.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
                  It's a Ford.

It's what they do...
                  Ford:

Fix Or Repair Daily.
                  Found On Road, Dead.

Comment

Originally posted by HeliCraig View Post
                    I will not be leaving the office. Too cold & wet.
                    Think of it as a diet.
                    Good job you've got those biscuits within easy reach then.

I think a slice of Christmas cake may have found its way into my lunch today.
                    Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                      The Amstrad PC1512 (and PC1640) preserved registers across BIOS calls. This fact was clearly documented in the Amstrad Technical Reference Manual.

What wasn't clearly documented was that, in doing this, it differed from every other IBM PC (and compatible) BIOS except Compaq's.

As a result, when I was first writing games, we shipped a game to the publisher which, as part of initialising the display when the game started, would make a BIOS call with registers that had been modified by the previous BIOS call, with the result that it switched the CGA card from graphics to text mode, thereby totally buggering things up

I could only debug it by walking up to the Tandy shop and asking the salesman to let me check it on one of their display models. Furthermore, I had to make sure that the fix occupied the same number of bytes as the original code, for easy patching of the disks that had already been duplicated

It didn't take long to sort it out - I just replaced the BIOS-calling code with code that hit the hardware directly, went back to Tandy to check it, and shipped the patch.

On the bright side, the offending code had been written by another chap before I started at the company - I'd taken the project over when I was hired
                      The 1512 had a really hideous implementation of CGA... my eyes have never been the same since.

Comment

Working...
                      X