• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The acting manager of the FMB bar approached me shortly after closing. The Number One Special Happy terminal (i.e. the most important of the till terminals behind the bar from which he could do a Z reading) had locked up, and everything they tried wouldn't make it usable again.

Of course, these are just terminals to the system down in the cellar, so I advised him to see if he could do the needful from down there, or maybe get the terminal to reset itself.

When that failed, we tried various things like disconnecting and reconnecting Ethernet cables.

It transpires that somebody from FMB-Central-HQ turned up a couple of days ago and installed some AV thing on the local server (which is of course a client to the central system, but a server to the local terminals); said software is now consuming 100% CPU

Given that said installation was presumably a knee-jerk reaction to IE's recent woes, and that such a system should have no need for a web browser, it makes it very clear that MS's decision to make assorted components underlying IE a requirement for reliable operation of the OS was probably the most epic fail yet achieved.

In the end, the only thing I could do was to advise him to advise his taskmasters that running mission-critical systems on a Windows platform is a recipe for inevitable disaster.

All platforms can fail; it's just that Windows is better at it

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      All platforms can fail; it's just that Windows is better at it
      Morning (Actually, it is early evening for me.)

I was at Wellington airport once, and on one of the monitors that should have been displaying departure information there was a Windows message box with the statement "The service has encountered a problem and had to shut down."

I did take a picture, but unfortunately it didn't really come to much. Shame really - perfect evidence of why you don't want Windows systems anywhere near anything to do with aviation.

Comment

morning all

Comment

Population
          1739 Revenues
          401350 € Unemployment 1 %
          Transport 100 %
          Crime rate 1 %
          Pollution 1 %

rank=300

Comment

morning

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              Population
              1739 Revenues
              401350 € Unemployment 1 %
              Transport 100 %
              Crime rate 1 %
              Pollution 1 %

rank=300
              20 December: A new factory has just opened.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
                20 December: A new factory has just opened.

I am off to Sheffield Park : later

Comment

Good morning all!

Churchill and his hangover are reporting in...

Comment

Morning all
                    Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

I have to take wifey shopping now

Later
                      Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Working...
                      X