• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any lurkers out there?
    Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Time to turn in - night folks

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
        Quick hello before bed.....

I've been making new friends in General again... maybe I should just stick to TPD

I've not even read your shenanigans in General (yet), but I imagine fail of catastrophic proportions if you've been trying to talk sense to them

I increasingly find myself trying to talk sense in General, hovering over the "Submit post" button, then thinking "Nah, they won't get it and they'll just heap a load of abuse on my head, which will tempt me to reply"... and then I hit the browser's Back button instead

"General" should be renamed "The Vicious Circle"

Comment

Originally posted by El_Diablo View Post
          I'm a clean freak, it's why the lady married me I'm sure of it, I don't let rubbish sit, it annoys me. I reckon I've got mild OCD!
          So you won't be wanting my huge collection of copies of PCW and Byte from the 1970s through the 1980s then?

Still, they don't take up much room.

Heavy, though - a shelf gave way in a bookcase recently where I'd tried to stack them vertically

On the bright side, about two or three years ago I read something online that cited an article from Byte c.1987 as one of its sources - sure enough, I had that issue and was able to read the cited article in full

(It was to do with declarative programming, if you're interested.)

Comment

Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
            I've only just thrown away the first PC I bought - an Apricot 200Mhz Pentium (with MMX extensions). I had quite an attachment to it though, as I spent some happy years working for Apricot. Even with a staff discount it cost me well over £2K at the time.
            I've got a BBC Model B in the corner

I must plug it in some time - I bet it still works

Comment

... a Mitsubishi 21" CRT monitor...
              Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 91TXM?

I've got one of those behind me, hooked up to my PowerMac G4...

When I was working at the design studio, I also had one as my work monitor - this was before I managed to get the dual G5 Mac as my primary work machine. One Saturday afternoon I had to use Remote Desktop Connection to get into my Windows machine at work, so I could use Remote Desktop Connection on that to get into our web server at some co-lo.

It was very confusing when I ended the connection to the server - for a few moments I was looking at my work computer's desktop whilst at home, and as the monitor was identical to the work one (right down to the badge at the bottom left corner of my peripheral vision), it took me a few seconds to remember that I now had to disconnect from that computer as well - whereupon I returned to my OS X desktop

Comment

I'm still using the Diamond Pro 91TXM.
                Ah, you've already answered my question

Comment

Originally posted by El_Diablo View Post
                  conf call with Dubai!
                  Dubya

Don't bother, he'll be out of office in the New Year

Comment

Wow, petrol's getting quite cheaper again - the latest email from petrolprices.com has it at 92.9p around here

Let's have a look back through the email subject lines...

The last time it was at 92.9p was 9 Oct 2007 - over a year ago.

Since then, it went through ups and downs and peaked at 116.9p on both the 17 and 21 Jul 2008.

I really must grab all these email subject lines, run them through grep, and create a dataset from them - it'll be ever so wavy, but ultimately go all the way up, then all the way down again.

Then I can correlate it with financial data on shorting petrol price futures and prove that the fluctuation in price was down to speculation, not actual variations driven by the market demand.

Or something... maybe I can't be bothered.

I might go to the petrol station up the road and buy some chocolate

Comment

Morning folks

Where is everyone?

Comment

Working...
                      X