• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
    I'm starting to feel tulipe again. Got a busy day tomorrow as well - taking No.2 son to tennis lessons in the morning, then a trip to the hairdressers, and then a trip to the Apple store so No.1 son can try out an iPhone to see if that's *really* what he wants for Christmas. I'd much rather he went for his alternative: a drum kit I suspect the neighbours wouldn't be as happy with that choice though.
    VF - far be it from me, as I don't have kids... But WTF would you buy a kid an iPhone?
    The squint, the cocked eye and clenched first are the cornerstones of all Merseyside communication from birth to grave

Comment

Originally posted by EqualOpportunities View Post
      VF - far be it from me, as I don't have kids... But WTF would you buy a kid an iPhone?
      A good question - he assures me it's what he wants, but I'm not convinced. I think he has inherited his love of toys from me

He probably gets more use out of his current mobile phone than I do out of mine!
      Last edited by voodooflux; 15 November 2008, 00:35.
      Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Excellent - just watched the last half of Predator in Hi-Def

Comment

A good question - he assures me it's what he wants, but I'm not convinced. I think he has inherited his love of toys from me

He probably gets more use out of his current mobile phone than I do out of mine!
          Furry muff. like I say - I don't have kids... TF
          The squint, the cocked eye and clenched first are the cornerstones of all Merseyside communication from birth to grave

Comment

Furry muff. like I say - I don't have kids... TF
            They're certainly expensive to keep.

Did you get your extra freezer?

Comment

They're certainly expensive to keep.

Did you get your extra freezer?
              Going for it tomorrow... I even had to empty the beer fridge to get the lamb in as I hadn't picked one up in time

Comment

Going for it tomorrow... I even had to empty the beer fridge to get the lamb in as I hadn't picked one up in time
                By "empty" did you consume the contents?
                Last edited by voodooflux; 15 November 2008, 00:49.

Comment

Right, coughing my head off again, so probably time to get some sleep

Night folks

Comment

By "empty" did you consume the contents?
                    No - it was too early So I just dumped it on the kitchen floor... The joys of living alone

Comment

Originally posted by El_Diablo View Post
                      That was actually rather interesting.
                      "Rather" interesting?

"Rather" interesting?

Dear me... we've had five hundred and fifty years since Gutenberg re-invented the concept of movable type (the Chinese invented it centuries earlier but then forgot about it, so Gutenberg's was a valid independent innovation).

In that time, many people have been drawn to the art of crafting letterforms in a consistent and beautiful way. Given the enormous effort required in those centuries when one had to carve each punch by hand and that typeface would become one's trademark, it is still astonishing to consider how rich was the seam of typography then created, on which we draw to this day.

Even within the lifetimes of our parents and grandparents, such works of beauty as Perpetua (the italic upper case R is to die for, if you ever get the chance to see it in print rather than on a screen) and Helvetica (about which a film has been made) have been created by great masters of this art.

And discovering a little of the history of this information technology (for that is what typography is) is "rather" interesting?

Tsk, tsk

(FWIW one of my favourite faces (they're faces, not fonts) is Caslon. If you've ever read any of Arthur Ransome's Swallows and Amazons novels then you will know it, for they are set in that font - 12pt, to be precise. Well, unless it's a cheap modern copy where it's been photo-reduced to cut down on paper costs by shrinking the page size.)

Comment

Working...
                      X