• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm back
    Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Worst thing about going country is not the insects and other beasties.
      It's not the rations or the warm tepid chem water.
      It's the toilet paper issue. There isn't one

Comment

You try going a fortnight without a bath and proper toilet paper, and see how comfortable you feel.
        You can get a crack itch on an obs, that you dare'nt move to aleviate, that will drive you to tears.

Comment

Germoline worked wonders for the itch, it stung at first and then made the area a bit numb.
          Trouble was you could smell germoline half a mile away in the bush, worse than tobbaco smoke.
          Funny thing about smell, you could smell a water buffalo a mile away, same with Hyena, not Lions though.
          Didn't worry about anything in the bush except buffalo, and hippo if you were close to the river.

Comment

Set up near a river once a small trib near kinshasa, the place was a hellhole for flies and mossie's.
            Woke early hours of the morning to screams and gunfire. most of us (the ones with any common) had elected to sleep in the back of the supply trucks.
            Our truck rocked with a bang and one of the boys let off a few rounds blind through the canvas before I gave him one across the side of the head with the boot I was trying to pull on.
            One of the others started to laugh, and I told the Idiot I had clouted, to Listen to the noise from outside.

Comment

You didn't have to hear them you could smell them, Buffalo.
              The Zimbab idiot captain had bivied us on a major game trail and the two somali idiots on guard had been drinking rum and smoking something nasty.
              the herd had walked right into camp before they noticed them and opened fire in panic.

Comment

Needless to say we moved camp a few miles. two dead buffalo soak a lot of blood into the ground.
                The zimbab was just going to use one of the trucks to tow the carcasses out of camp until we pointed out that the smell of blood would draw every scavenger and predator for miles, let alone the flies.
                One of the Bufffalo had hit the drivers door of our truck at full steam, That door was never to be opened again

Comment

Congratulations?

Diver

You have managed 50 consecutive posts on this thread in 24 hours.

That surely must warrant some type of award.

I have counted them but not read them. Were they important?

Comment

Pot shots from the bush were the worst when we were on the (what they called ) road.
                    Everyone had a weapon and used it over there, usually to take pot shots at anyone using a vehicle.
                    You used to respond in kind at first, but just wasted time and effort, they were long gone before you responded and it was pointless going bush after them, they could run like olympic sprinters through the thick brush and be a mile away by the time you got a hundred feet from the road with no skin left on your face and your body full of thorns the like of which nightmares are made of.

Comment

Picked up a nasty beasty between the little toe and the next on my right foot on one tour.
                      Little beggar had burrowed under the skin or been layed there and set up its own little pad.
                      Foot got so swollen that I got flown out to the cape to see a doctor, Indian lady. She pulled my toes apart and took a look, put something on a ball of cotton and made me wait in the waiting room for half hour.

Comment

Working...
                      X