• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah, the joy of progress bars that zoom up to some arbitrary point, then just sit there for several minutes...

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      It just seems so unlikely that two different programmers, several years apart, could both introduce a comment parsing bug...
      Unlikely as you say, but I guess not impossible. Is it definitely two different programmers? Although if it was the same programmer then chances of the error being repeated *should* be even less likely you would hope!
      Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Currently in the throes of installing SP3 on an XP VM...

The pain...

I want to have a play with IE 8 Beta - I have a hypothesis concerning the new rendering engine that I want to test by experiment
        Oh I went through that the other day, I thought it had died half way through, took ages!
        That boy go raaaaaaa
        Copyright (C) BabyBear1 - with thanks to VF for hosting

Comment

Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
          Unlikely as you say, but I guess not impossible. Is it definitely two different programmers? Although if it was the same programmer then chances of the error being repeated *should* be even less likely you would hope!
          Virtually certain - Tasman, the IE 5/Mac rendering engine, was written by a team of three or four programmers, led by Tantek Çelik, who's no longer at MS.

I suppose it's possible that some or all of the others were brought into the re-formed IE Team, but it does seem unlikely they'd make the same mistake again on a new codebase - it seems more likely that, tasked with implementing a rendering engine that supported CSS 2.1 correctly, they'd re-use code from a working (if very slightly flawed) CSS 2 implementation that they had lying around.

Comment

Originally posted by El_Diablo View Post
            Oh I went through that the other day, I thought it had died half way through, took ages!
            It's now bumped the progress bar up to the 50% mark, and is rapidly flashing up the names of various DLLs.

I wonder what made them think that the average user wants to see that? It's not as if any of it means anything to them

Comment

It's now bumped the progress bar up to the 50% mark, and is rapidly flashing up the names of various DLLs.

I wonder what made them think that the average user wants to see that? It's not as if any of it means anything to them
              I've learnt to leave it and go do something else, my fuse is short.
              That boy go raaaaaaa

Comment

From Raymond Chen of MS:

In order to demonstrate our superior intellect, we will now ask you a question you cannot answer.

The default answer to every dialog box is "Cancel"

Fact of life: People can't see things that are right in front of them

Comment

So, XP SP3 is now installed, whereupon Windows Update tells me there are eighteen further updates to install

Why I need to install an update to IE 6, when I'm also installing IE 7, is not made clear

Comment

Hehehe some classics on there.

Sometimes the simple things aren't done simply.
                    That boy go raaaaaaa

Comment

Why I need to install an update to IE 6, when I'm also installing IE 7, is not made clear
                      Ahah, my question is answered:

Code:
                      Installing Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 for Windows XP (KB953838)
                       (update 12 of 18)... failed!
                      Given that it had just installed IE 7, it's hardly surprising that it was unable to update IE 6

Comment

Working...
                      X