• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

<rant>
    What is it with young people standing around, blocking the pavement and generally getting in the way?

I'm convinced that, in 99.999% of cases (if not more) there is no intention to inconvenience others - they will always shift out of the way when asked, often apologising as they do so.

So why do they do it in the first place? Are people no longer taught to think of the effects of their actions on others during the daily round of living on this planet, in this society?

One day when I was at school, we were informed that all members of the house must attend a meeting in the house common room during the final fifteen minutes of that day's lunchtime. As I had lunch at home (about ten minutes walk away) this caused major inconvenience for me, but I made it back in time.

Our housemaster told us that, the previous afternoon, he had seen a group of boys who were members of the house walking down the High Street, four abreast, and had observed that elderly people had been forced from the pavement into the road (and it's a busy road) to allow them to pass. He delivered a coruscating denunciation of these self-centred gits, making it clear that they - and all of us - must be respectful of others when using such public spaces as pavements, and that although the fact of wearing the school uniform at the time meant that they had brought disrespect upon the school, that was not the important point - said important point being that such disregard for others was a shameful way to conduct oneself.

I didn't have enough (well, any) friends to have ever inconvenienced people to such a degree - I tended to be forced into the gutter by OAPs as I made my way back from the Borough Library - but he was right. When the Government wants to promote "good citizenship" within the educational system, they can throw away all the consultants and educational psychologists - explain to young people why they shouldn't block the pavement (please note that I said "why", not "that") and the rest should follow.

Well, maybe.
    </rant>

Comment

morning all

Comment

off to church

later

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          morning all
          Morning all

Morning Scourer
          Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Morning all

Now completely knackered after demossing the lawn.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              Evening denizens

Another day of muggy weather here

I wish we could have a nice thunderstorm to sort it out.

You may get your wish today, according to the forecast...

evening all

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              Evening denizens

Looking through my Amazon "Recommendations" and following some "People also bought..." links, I came across this book, which argues that much of the so-called forecasting and analysis used to drive business strategy is rubbish, serving merely to mask the randomness of reality.

I particularly liked the wording of one user-contributed review: ...finding out that the steering wheel I have been holding onto to steer my company is not connected to anything is a revelation

morning all

off to church

later

Originally posted by Diver View Post
              Morning all

Morning Scourer

Comment

Morning folks

Last day at home before returning to work tomorrow
                Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

I just had to go and clean myself up.
                  I had 4 bits of hot crumpet sat on my lap

Comment

They slid off the plate when I sat down.

Butter everywhere

Comment

I just had to go and clean myself up.
                      I had 4 bits of hot crumpet sat on my lap
                      They slid off the plate when I sat down.

Butter everywhere
                      Sticky crotch then eh

(Is smut allowed on a Sunday?)
                      Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Working...
                      X