• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Byeeee

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post

Byeeee

Byeeeeeee.

Wavey wave.
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Quiet without CM, innit?
        My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

I'm up at 5 a.m. so good night all.

Wavey wave.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
            I'm up at 5 a.m. so good night all.

Wavey wave.
            Goodnight RC
            Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
              It's a quote from Monty Python, taking the urine out of "Any Questions" or some such...
              Possibly even The Brains Trust

(Yes, I know that was on the wireless )

Dr. C. E. M. Joad lost his place on The Brains Trust when he was caught travelling First Class with a Third Class ticket by a British Rail ticket inspector.

Am I the only one to be dismayed by the fact that mentioning "British Rail" makes one sound old nowadays?

Though he did write the immortal tome How to Write, Think and Speak Correctly (1939) which a friend of mine, to my chagrin, found in an Aberdeen charity shop in 1989 about twenty seconds before I might have done.

(I've since borrowed and read it, and it's an excellent work - the chapter on "How to interpret the lies, half-truths and distortions in the Press" ought to be a sticky for the Mail/Telegraph/Express herd in General. Although he doesn't actually call the chapter that. But it's close.)

Stephen Potter's Sense of Humour (an anthology which I obtained at a jumble sale around 1987) contains Joad's own exquisite account of the time when he was presenting a paper to a meeting of the Oxford Philosophical Society (IIRC) and was told at the last minute that Bertrand Russell would be in the audience.

He describes in precise and excruciating detail how it felt to be stood on a platform and have Russell examine, dissect, and ultimately exterminate every one of the points he had sought to make, primarily by the process of reductio ad absurdam, yet phrased as direct questions: "Oh, you did mean that... I didn't think it possible that anybody might actually mean that..."

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
                Well I did have a date tonight.

I went ... shame the other person didn't. Yep I got stood up.

Sockpuppet's ego loses 5 xeno pride points.
                I'm offically the new CUK El Duder.

Got an incredible sense of deja-vu.....

Last night I got stood up by a different person. At least this time I was home as she was coming round for dinner so didn't have to go anywhere.

Apparently not phoning her on the Sunday meant I wasn't interested and called it off. Now me thinking we'd spoke on the Saturday and arragend a time etc kind of had done it. No more arranging needed. In a way thinking I dodged the bullet - sounded like she had the potential to be a bunny boiler.

I can't even make this tulip up.

Then again BBQ I went to on Saturday night was a blast. GSP didn't make an appearance but I did get a snog off a random girl but she was ginger
                Last edited by Sockpuppet; 14 July 2008, 07:08.

Comment

Morning all

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                      Morning all
                      Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Working...
                      X