• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've read a fair percentage of them

Damn! I've written a fair percentage of them

>in one persona or another <
    Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

I have caught up and apart from Diver's ghost jumping out to scare people, there's nobody here.

So I'll go and be rude in General.

And, to prove I really have done my TPD research: Yes. Specifically in General.
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

BrilloPad 13,184
        zeitghost 12,208
        DS23 10,000
        Diver 9,890
        cailin maith 8,560

WoW! that's a lot of tpd'ing

Comment

Goodnight all

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
            I was a very happy bunny when I twigged that instead of calculating the sine and cosine of angles, I could have a simple lookup array [0..90] and use that with integer degree angles.

It's good enough for plotting curves on a monitor. Or was, for whatever it was I was writing at the time in 1984. (Which ran on a terminal on a DMS HiNet network.)
            Indeed - that's an epic win

It also means that you can use polar geometry to create apparently complex movements of your entities with nothing but lookups - the arcade game Moon Cresta had some excellent enemy motion patterns achieved using the simplest code and a little precalculation

Although using pseudo-degrees in the range 0 - 256 for full circle and then ignoring the least two significant bits was usually good enough for games - 64 directions was more than enough for a 256*192 display (or even 320*256), although it was worth using an error-accumulating internal value to keep things smooth.

It's all just fixed-point arithmetic, really - which is of course essential for many other purposes, including financial calculations. What we need is a currency based on 256 cents to the byte

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              It's all just fixed-point arithmetic, really - which is of course essential for many other purposes, including financial calculations. What we need is a currency based on 256 cents to the byte
              What would we call the units? We can't call them 'cents' because they're not hundredths.
              My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Good morning everybody.

Wavey wave.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
                  Good morning everybody.

Wavey wave.
                  Mornin' Dick
                  The squint, the cocked eye and clenched first are the cornerstones of all Merseyside communication from birth to grave

Comment

Originally posted by EqualOpportunities View Post
                    Mornin' Dick
                    What ho, EO.

When I got up it was cloudy. Now it is bright blue sky.

Comment

Now it is all cloudy again.

Comment

Working...
                      X