• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
    I seem to have sent the congregation to sleep with my PCB design guide
    I used a program called SPICE, this was mid 80s. Apart from that I have very little recall of my PCB adventures.
    Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
      dConstruct 2008. That'll be it then.

I'll stop there. There's hundreds of the damn things in Brighton in September.
      I like the fact that this page is in Google's index as although it says "Page Not Found - error 404", it actually returns an HTTP 200 OK response code

UPDATE: and it's got an HTML 2.0 document type declaration

Comment

How much do you charge ?

You really wouldn't want too - maybe 15 years ago...
        Eeyore was very glad to be able to stop thinking for a little, in order to say "How do you do" in a gloomy manner to Pooh.
        "And how are you?" said Winnie-the-Pooh.
        Eeyore shook his head from side to side. "Not very how," he said. "I don't seem to felt at all how for a long time."

Comment

Spice is still around, except that these days it's got a flashy windoze front end so it doesn't frighten the punters quite as much...

I have a copy of NI Multisim that is basically a spice simulator.

It comes with its very own pcb design suite too, but I haven't used that yet.

I very rarely use simulators, I, being old school, build stuff to see if it works... I love the smell of hot solder & flux <cough, wheeze, spit>

Comment

Ok.

Catch you all later...

Comment

Originally posted by kali View Post

You really wouldn't want too - maybe 15 years ago...
              You do realise I'm 54...

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                I like the fact that this page is in Google's index as although it says "Page Not Found - error 404", it actually returns an HTTP 200 OK response code
                They'll be catching the 404 behind the scenes and redirecting. On ClientCoSite we use this very mechanism to produce resized car images on demand... you call the image with the size in the url e.g. /images/300x200/fordfiesta.jpg and when the server catches the 404, we redirect to a script which examines the url, creates the correct sized image on the fly from a large reference image, sticks it in the cache, and then redirects to that image.
                Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

16 layers is nothing really... that's the limitation on this yonks old version of CadStar I'm using... some packages have unlimited numbers of layers...

If you consider a ball grid array, where the balls can be 10 thou apart, it becomes difficult to get the connectivity without more than 2 layers.

Plus, as I said, two (or more) layers are used for power planes... using a layer as a power plane reduces the impedance of the power rails & reduces the amount of tulipe that can emmanate from the board... relatively more important these days... it can make a significant difference to the pass/fail EMI check of a design.

I don't think you could successfully design something like a mobile phone with a two layer pcb any more.

You certainly can't design a card to plug into a pc with two layers anymore... just to get the PCI interface working takes at least 3, and probably 4 layers.

In the case of PCI it's the signal timing on the interface that gets interesting... the design guide stresses the need to get the bus tracks all of equal length to reduce timing skew. Which ain't easy with a square surface mount chip. You also need the power planes in the board to define the impedance of the traces... it gets quite complex really.
                  Gosh. Things do move on.

That all sounds too hard now.
                  My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Almost time to bugger off to catch my train...
                    Bye. Thank you for the lecture.

Wavey wave.
                    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigYinJames View Post
                      They'll be catching the 404 behind the scenes and redirecting. On ClientCoSite we use this very mechanism to produce resized car images on demand... you call the image with the size in the url e.g. /images/300x200/fordfiesta.jpg and when the server catches the 404, we redirect to a script which examines the url, creates the correct sized image on the fly from a large reference image, sticks it in the cache, and then redirects to that image.
                      I'm familiar with the technique you describe, but that doesn't make any sense in this context - the page is for their 2005 conference, and is therefore obsolete, so the intention is clearly to actually serve a response saying that the page is no longer available.

Clearly some incompetent has been told to replace the page with a 404, and thinks that just sticking up a page saying 404 is adequate, not realising that you have to send the actual HTTP response code.

And anyway, it should be 410 Gone
                      Last edited by NickFitz; 24 June 2008, 16:09. Reason: Linky to RFC2616

Comment

Working...
                      X