• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think this could just be a phase. One person at the weekend said I should count my blessings having such a good contract in a major firm, and that some people would kill for the opportunity...

But all I see around me is a sea of grey, bland, boring corporate suits in a grey, bland, dull-as-dishwater office doing pointless repetitive tasks. I feel like an extra in the film Cypher.

Am I being stupid or is this just life? I was in a meeting the other day where one guy spoke 'management BS' fluently for a good half-hour while my eyes glazed over, I lost all will to live, I just couldn't have been less interested.

It's dangerous when you're *this* close to saying 'I really honestly couldn't give less of a toss' out loud.

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
      I think this could just be a phase. One person at the weekend said I should count my blessings having such a good contract in a major firm, and that some people would kill for the opportunity...

But all I see around me is a sea of grey, bland, boring corporate suits in a grey, bland, dull-as-dishwater office doing pointless repetitive tasks. I feel like an extra in the film Cypher.

Am I being stupid or is this just life? I was in a meeting the other day where one guy spoke 'management BS' fluently for a good half-hour while my eyes glazed over, I lost all will to live, I just couldn't have been less interested.

It's dangerous when you're *this* close to saying 'I really honestly couldn't give less of a toss' out loud.
      It's just a phase sweetheart - you just need a bit of motivation - you will be grand.

I think you are probably too creative
      Bazza gets caught
      Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        Hi horsey
        Hi Chimp

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

Awwww he's soooooooooo cute - i want!!!!
        Eeyore was very glad to be able to stop thinking for a little, in order to say "How do you do" in a gloomy manner to Pooh.
        "And how are you?" said Winnie-the-Pooh.
        Eeyore shook his head from side to side. "Not very how," he said. "I don't seem to felt at all how for a long time."

Comment

<snip>

Been there, got the tee-shirt.... actually I'm still there

I should probably be pushing for a renewal given the current climate but I really can't face it - i so need a change of scenery
          Eeyore was very glad to be able to stop thinking for a little, in order to say "How do you do" in a gloomy manner to Pooh.
          Eeyore shook his head from side to side. "Not very how," he said. "I don't seem to felt at all how for a long time."

Comment

Originally posted by kali View Post
            I should probably be pushing for a renewal given the current climate but I really can't face it - i so need a change of scenery
            Sometimes I think that it's when the climate is like this, you start to feel compelled to stay in contracts, that we contractors hate those feelings of having to hang around anywhere. So even a formerly good contract starts to look constrictive and boring.
            Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

Ooh ooh me too

It's just like that at my clientco too.

The other thing that gets me (and it's usually the same people that speak the management bs) is the feigned friendlyness and interest in each others lives.

'oh hi Jonny, long time no see, how are you mate, i need to sort out x on y project, can we catch up sometime? Maybe over coffee and you can tell me how the family is'

Toss pot!
              Si posse, recte, si non, quocumque modo rem

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigYinJames View Post
                Sometimes I think that it's when the climate is like this, you start to feel compelled to stay in contracts, that we contractors hate those feelings of having to hang around anywhere. So even a formerly good contract starts to look constrictive and boring.
                Maybe... current gig goes in fits and starts with me, sometimes it's interesting but mostly just dire

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by kali View Post
                    Maybe... current gig goes in fits and starts with me, sometimes it's interesting but mostly just dire
                    I always use the rule of thumb: will the next one be any better?
                    Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

Afternoon denizens

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post

Up early?
                      Indeed

I had to make the arduous trek to the Royal Mail collection office, which is conveniently located on an industrial estate miles from any human habitation and opens for approximately thirty seconds every six months

I popped into Sainsbury's on the way back, and witnessed something I don't remember ever seeing before.

The young lady in front of me at the (basket only) checkout had a trolley, but so many gits ignore the signs that I didn't really think much of it - anyway, she had less stuff in her trolley than I had in my basket.

But after about twenty seconds she noticed the sign over the adjacent rank of tills, and turned to me to ask "Are all of these basket only?"

"I believe so," I replied - whereupon she laughed, made some comment about how silly she was, and went off to one of the other checkouts!

Shame in a way... she was very attractive, so I'd been enjoying the view

Anyway, a banana for that fine young lady

Comment

Working...
                      X