• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Evening denizens

Still on the thing-of-beauty-and-joy-forever that shall be my monument here, but all the amazingly cool stuff is done and working now - just got to make the user interface look a little bit more gorgeous and it's complete

That should see me though to tomorrow afternoon, and luckily there's lots of benches just outside in the square ready for when I'm done

Anyway, back to the fray...

Comment

Unemployment 2 %
      Transport 100 %
      Criminality 1 %
      Pollution 0 %

pop=1036, rank=186

I see someone has opened a shop - increase business?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        Hi Scourer

I do believe my wondrous application is finished...

I think I shall treat myself to an early departure and head for my favourite hostelry

Later

Comment

Ha! I am so childish its untrue.

The letting agent for the flat I was trying to rent has basically ignored me for the last 3 days. Not even returning my phone calls now which I find just rude. Finally got through to him today and he hung up on me. I don't mind them not renting me the flat as I'm a contractor I just want him to say it...its not hard just some little words.

Oh well. So me in my oh so mature way just sent them 200 completely black pages via internet fax (copy and paste in a word doc). Good thing black transmits really fast.

Bye bye receiving fax ink. I'll phone him tomorrow and see if he got my fax.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
            Bye bye receiving fax ink. I'll phone him tomorrow and see if he got my fax.

Serves them right for relying on ugly hacks of 19th Century technologies

Oh hang on, what's the Internet made of again...

Oh hang on again - the Internet is a beautiful hack, not an ugly one

Comment

Last night but one in this Premier Inn... I wonder when my month's worth of wifi access will run out

Last time, it happened around this time of night as I tried to post on TPD

Comment

Nope, still here

I'm really very pleased with getting the t

Oh dear... at that point in the above sentence my MacBook closed itself down in "0% battery left and I'm going to save a memory image now" mode... interesting because I've never actually been using it when it came to such a critical stage before. If it has a few percent left it displays a warning, but it clearly realised that displaying the warning would have risked using its last reserves of power, and chose instead to move to saving my work by saving its state to disk, even if that meant rudely interrupting my typing.

I like it for doing that... I wonder if Windows does that, or just wastes its last few watts putting up a dialog and failing halfway through.

Maybe not... despite the awfulness of Windows there are actually a lot of clever people at Microsoft, and at least one or two of them still actually write software rather than mismanaging the company, so maybe they've built in a way of compensating for that rather uncommon situation too.

Comment

Anyway, as I was saying...

I'm really very pleased with getting the thing-of-beauty-and-joy-forever nicely sorted out... it allows me to leave on a high note, and also impresses my soon-to-be-erstwhile colleagues, who all think it's rather cool

I was taking the chap who'll have to expand and maintain it (and who is highly regarded in the field) through the not-yet-complete code yesterday, doing as much of the necessary knowledge transfer as was possible before it was all working.

I started introducing a method, explaining that "This does <stuff>" and he interrupted, saying "Can I just mention that I have total respect for somebody who manages to get the word 'putative' into a variable name in a meaningful way."

Comment

morning all

Comment

Unemployment 3 %
                      Transport 100 %
                      Criminality 1 %
                      Pollution 0 %

pop=1038, rank=187

more ind needed...

Comment

Working...
                      X