• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anyone else around? If not I'm off to bed...
    Don't ask Beaker. He's just another muppet.

Comment

Originally posted by BA to the Stars View Post
      It was a marraige Jim but not as we know it!!!

I wonder what the Federation would make of same sex marraiges?
      http://allyourtrekarebelongto.us/theguys.jpg

Comment

Evening denizens

Nearly there...

Comment

The thing of beauty and joy forever that shall serve as my monument at CurrentClientCorp ran into the buffers slightly today... nothing serious, though

Having mucked about for too long working out how to deal with cumulative rounding errors that occurred, and tended to mount up when the user (me, in this case) interacted vigorously with the UI, I finally remembered one of the most important lessons of my time as a games programmer back in the Eighties: when you have a constrained amount of possible values for a given datum (or set of related data) that may result from user interaction then don't calculate: PRECOMPUTE!

By getting the server to precompute all the necessary values for the possible user manipulations, one not only relieves the client of computational strain, but can also take account of cumulative errors that build up if rapidly changing values are constantly being subject to rounding.

And as we're dealing with pixels here, there's really no reason for fractions to get involved: instead, the server can compute a set of purely integral values that cover the range, and then the very few calculations left to be done dynamically on the client will be able to operate purely by table lookup, addition, and subtraction - all very fast operations, which is essential with drag & drop stuff that may fire many events a second.

Hence my experience of optimising assembly language code for the tardy processors of the Eighties finds a use in creating a cutting-edge client-server graphical application in the Noughties

Me FTW!

(Also, me eschews false modesty, in this case )
          Last edited by NickFitz; 21 May 2008, 00:35.

Comment

Anyway, on that note I shall bid you all goodnight - I actually feel quite enthused by the idea of getting some sleep, then going in tomorrow and realising this vision of perfection.

They'll be wondering why they ever let me go before I've done with them... although I have now decided that I will leave on Thursday, and will not even think about what comes next until after the Summer Solstice.

I should be feeling halfway sane again by then...

Comment

Oops, forgot to wave

Night denizens

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                The thing of beauty and joy forever that shall serve as my monument at CurrentClientCorp ran into the buffers slightly today... nothing serious, though

Having mucked about for too long working out how to deal with cumulative rounding errors that occurred, and tended to mount up when the user (me, in this case) interacted vigorously with the UI, I finally remembered one of the most important lessons of my time as a games programmer back in the Eighties: when you have a constrained amount of possible values for a given datum (or set of related data) that may result from user interaction then don't calculate: PRECOMPUTE!

By getting the server to precompute all the necessary values for the possible user manipulations, one not only relieves the client of computational strain, but can also take account of cumulative errors that build up if rapidly changing values are constantly being subject to rounding.

And as we're dealing with pixels here, there's really no reason for fractions to get involved: instead, the server can compute a set of purely integral values that cover the range, and then the very few calculations left to be done dynamically on the client will be able to operate purely by table lookup, addition, and subtraction - all very fast operations, which is essential with drag & drop stuff that may fire many events a second.

Hence my experience of optimising assembly language code for the tardy processors of the Eighties finds a use in creating a cutting-edge client-server graphical application in the Noughties

Me FTW!

(Also, me eschews false modesty, in this case )
                I expect many more of these posts - dont use being on the bench as an excuse...

Comment

Unemployment 2 %
                  Transport 100 %
                  Criminality 1 %
                  Pollution 0 %

pop=1033, rank=187

Comment

Originally posted by BA to the Stars View Post
                    It was a marraige Jim but not as we know it!!!

I wonder what the Federation would make of same sex marraiges?
                    I expect they would set phasers to kill...

Comment

century drivel time!

Comment

Working...
                      X