• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is car de-icer bad for the environment?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is car de-icer bad for the environment?

Being as cold as it is I am about to invest in some de-icer spray for the mornings so I don’t miss any more trains.

For some reason my Mrs has got into her head that de-icer spray is bad for the environment.. I have no idea where she got it from and I know aerosols are not good for the ozone layer but is there really anything about car de-icer that is bad for the planet and morally wrong?

It’s becoming a bit or an argument point as I am not prepared to get up and leave earlier to manually de-ice the car and still get my train….
    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Just put a cover on the night before.

HTH
    l l l http://www.thewantedfans.com

Comment

Originally posted by Money Money Money View Post
      Just put a cover on the night before.
      The wife? So she doesn't see?
      And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
        The wife? So she doesn't see?

No so we don't get any unwanted pregnancies!

Do pay attention 007
        "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
          Being as cold as it is I am about to invest in some de-icer spray for the mornings so I don’t miss any more trains.

For some reason my Mrs has got into her head that de-icer spray is bad for the environment.. I have no idea where she got it from and I know aerosols are not good for the ozone layer but is there really anything about car de-icer that is bad for the planet and morally wrong?

It’s becoming a bit or an argument point as I am not prepared to get up and leave earlier to manually de-ice the car and still get my train….
          That's quite funny. She accepts that a car is ok for the environment but not a can of de-icer you squirt once in a blue moon. Women eh?

Comment

That is a good point - that and the cover, I believe this problem is now solved. Thanks all

Comment

Of course it's bad for the environment, it's a useful product that does what you need it when you need it. Anything created after since 1811 should be banned if it has to rely on something man-made in order to function.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                A 2 litre lemonade bottle filled with warm water (from the tap, not boiling water from the kettle) does a reasonably friendly job of clearing ice off car windscreens...

If it's really cold, 4 litres generally does the job... (on a Volvo 940 size car).
                Does it have to be lemonade? I prefer Dandelion and Burdock.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                  A 2 litre lemonade bottle filled with warm water (from the tap, not boiling water from the kettle) does a reasonably friendly job of clearing ice off car windscreens...

If it's really cold, 4 litres generally does the job... (on a Volvo 940 size car).
                  I find weeing on the windscreen works too.

Comment

Working...
                  X