• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

$200,000 a day job anyone?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$200,000 a day job anyone?

Zimbabwe have just issued a $200,000 bill in an attempt to fight runaway inflation. it will buy a 1Kilo bag of sugar
    They were one of the wealtiest countries in africa.
    What happened?
    Confusion is a natural state of being

Didn't they kick out (and kill) the white farmers?

Comment

Sort of, but it's more complicated than that.

I've heard that toilet paper is only slightly cheaper than its surface area in banknotes.

Comment

Originally posted by Diver
        What happened?
        The locals thought they could run things better than the colonials. They seem to be as wrong as you could possibly get.

Comment

But... WHAT A HOUSING MARKET THEY MUST HAVE!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco
            One correspondent recently told the BBC News website that one candle can cost twice the official government wage for a farm worker, while the price tag for a single banana is 15 times what she paid seven years ago for a four-bedroom house.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6922441.stm

Last edited by Diver; 1 August 2007, 04:33.
            Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco

When there's blood on the streets ...

Comment

Why is this in Light Relief? It is a very serious subject.

Most of Zimbabwes troubles can be laid firmly at the feet of one man though his nationals seem deaf to the idea.

Zim used to be one of, if not, the most agriculturaly advanced and productive in Africa (Hectare for Hectare) producing food crops for local consumption and cash crops to sell abroad. This also made the Country economically viable and brought in foreign currency which helped stabalise the local currency.

With the land reform act all the commercial farms were carved up and given to local people, either as bungs to high ranking officials or as incentives to ex soldiers of the revolution (though many are far to young to have been involved).
                The people who now own the land either have no idea how to farm it or are farming for subsistance purposes only. This means there is no surplus of food crops or any cash crops at all.
                Mugabes consistant abuses have also earned sanctions for the Country which is not helping at all.

This goes further, but that is a good enough place to stop.
                I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                  Come on, LG, get with it.

It's all Whitey's fault.

The Black Fascist has said so.
                  Sorry, my mistake.
                  It is all the fault of the imperriallist pigs in the UK imposing sanctions and casting spells so the land is infertile. Freezing our assets and such.
                  I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                  Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

How long before the (still alive) farmers are invited back to rescue the country's agriculture?

Comment

Working...
                    X