• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can you help to support Cornwalls Scouts and Guids

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dear CUK Colleagues

On November 13th, this year, The Truro District Scout Camp Site at Tomperrow, Hugus, will be competing head-to-head with P.L.A.Y. Crantock in order to win a grant of £50,000 from the National Lottery.

There will be a phone/text vote, and whichever organisation gets the most votes, receives the funding. There are three more days of this giving another 4 groups a chance to win £50,000 each. A fifth grant will be given to the runner up with the most votes.

The phone/text numbers for each organisation will appear on the morning of their respective vote.

Tomperrow's Project Summary

The project will update and improve facilities at the local district camp site, opened in 1993, in order to make it accessible for people with disabilities, and to make it more appealing to a wider community including other youth groups. The project will also help make the site more marketable to other organisations who may wish to hire the site, and extend its use. The site offers camping, showers, a large meeting hall, and an activity trail in a wooded, safe environment.

Crantocks Project Summary

The project will create three play areas targeted at specific age groups adjacent to the village playing field in order to provide local children with play facilities.

My Involvement

I am a Beaver Scout Leader with the 1st Threemilestone Scouting Group. I am also a member of the Truro Joint Scout and Guide Committee and part of the World Scout Jamboree Contingent Training Team. I have a big involvement with Tomperrow as it is just round the corner from Threemileston and I believe it is a great environment for kids. However, the facilities do need major updating.

Tomprerrow is not, however, used solely by Scouts in Truro, Beavers, Cubs, Scouts, Rainbows, Brownies and Guides from all around the county use it as well.

The current "hut" has basic facilities. A couple of showers for leaders (we don't mix the adult and children's washing and toilet facilities) and a kitchen. The kitchen is in a very sorry state and is very small. It gets cramped when 2 people are in there, and when you have to cater for 100+ kids, it becomes very difficult. Additionally, we need some where covered so we can have activities out of the weather. In bad weather, we can fit about 50 kids and adults inside the hut.

The money will help us to build an addition to the hut making a larger kitchen with proper catering facilities. Additionally there are plans to provide covered areas to allow the site to be used in bad weather.

2007 is the Scouting Associations 100th birthday and there will be Scouts and Guides from all over the world visiting Cornwall.

Please help us by voting for Tomperrow on the 13th November.

More Details

More details on the other nominees can be found here: http://www.biglotteryfund.org.uk/pr_embargoed/uk-pm-competing_regional_projects_for_itv_peeps_mill.htm ?regioncode=-uk#westcountrypm

For more information about Joining the Scouting Association, send me a PM.

Sparklelard
    Do you think people who pack the confectionary into boxes at fudge making factories tell people what they do for a living?

Sorry i read "I'm a Beaver" descended into a fit of Beavis and Butthead like giggles and didn't bother to read the rest.

Beaver, huh huh hu hu huh hu

Comment

Hardy-har-har

I've never heard that one before.
      Oh god, my sides are splitting - next time it'l be: "Nice Beaver!", "Thanks, I've just had it stuffed".
      Do you think people who pack the confectionary into boxes at fudge making factories tell people what they do for a living?

Comment

Dib-dib-dib, sparkelard!

Remind us closer to the date by bumping this post will you?

Oh and re-write the instructions in no more than 3 lines, there's a good chap...
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I thought it was best to give as much info as I had.

Comment

No, I appreciate the pitch but I know I won't be arsed to read it twice...
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Here you go 3F2504E0-4F89-11D3-9A0C-0305E82C3301

HTH

Comment

and to make it more appealing to a wider community including other youth groups.
                So how would we know we wouldn't be supporting the Cornwall muslim exploding yoof faction, the Gangsta rap crew of Truro, or an anti English -St Piran waving Kernewek speaking youth group?
                How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
                  Here you go 3F2504E0-4F89-11D3-9A0C-0305E82C3301

HTH
                  Damn you got there before me
                  Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

Well, we've just had the TV cameras to record the piece for Westcountry and the rain held off until after the filming.

It'll be interesting to see how it is edited together on the 13th November.

Comment

Working...
                    X