• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can you touch type?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you touch type?

After using computer keyboards for 34 years, I just took the plunge and learned to touch type. Can you touch type ? How did you learn and how is it going ?

This was meant to contain a yes/no poll not sure if it worked.
    Yes
    69.23%
    No
    30.77%
    Last edited by unixman; 18 May 2015, 18:03.

Yes I can. But it's very rare that I do - I'm quicker not touch typing.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Not properly, but I do use all my fingers and type pretty fast and usually pretty accurately. I didn't look at keyboard/fingers when typing this post, for example.

It does sometimes come unstuck - usually displaced by one character. Like when I was entering data on the test system, and my comment, which was supposed to be 'test' ended up as 'twat'...

Comment

I did a few lessons during 6th form. This was on the old style carriage return typewriters with a former secretary tutting at us. It was a bit of a laugh, taught in a room full of birds and it's something (other than spelling, grammar and arithmetic) that I use day to day although not entirely as taught, but certainly good enough.

Comment

Yep learned using mavis beacon when i was 15 or so with a view to getting a data entry part time job. Served me very well in my professional life
          "You can't climb the ladder of success, with your hands in the pockets"
          Arnold Schwarzenegger

Comment

I csn tough tyke too. Somtines made mistajes but not ofen
            I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
              After using computer keyboards for 34 years, I just took the plunge and learned to touch type. Can you touch type ? How did you learn and how is it going ?

This was meant to contain a yes/no poll not sure if it worked.
              I hope you get on better than you did when trying to add the poll...

Comment

I bit the bullet because constantly looking at the keyboard is mentally tiring. TT seems to make your work flow better. Definitely a boon for emails. I am trying to use it on the unix command line too.

Originally posted by No2politics View Post
                Yep learned using mavis beacon when i was 15 or so with a view to getting a data entry part time job. Served me very well in my professional life
                Ah. I was wondering when someone would mention Mavis. For the record I used Touch Typing Online Lessons . I wonder how women used to do it, with long finger nails and heavy manual typewriters

Comment

Poll added. No AndyW option as this isn't General.

I can touch type on both UK and German keyboards. I just kind of picked it up - no formal lessons or anything.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I'm an OK typist - fairly fast and accurate (no means perfect). I use a lot of fingers, glance at the keyboard from time to time (although thinking about it while typing this post has meant I haven't actually looked down).

I was thinking of getting The Typing of the Dead game to help improve further.

Comment

Working...
                    X