• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Public sector contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cojak View Post
    You asked, I answered. Many contractors have a Plan B.

Not hilarious at all. And I'll ask you to read the thread on behaviour on the Professional forums.
    Fair enough , i saw your initial answer as being derogatory

Don't matter now.

I

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
      UK Government clamps down on contractors, threatens tax consequences

Nothing really new but interesting to see that that people on the other end of the contract are looking to see how this pans out.
      The author seems to have no idea of what IR35 is and assumes that every public sector contractor is caught.
      Blood in your poo

Comment

Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
        The author seems to have no idea of what IR35 is and assumes that every public sector contractor is caught.
        A quick update on this. The public sector is screwed. I was working at a public sector gig and left because I could see where this was heading and I have plan B, C and D to get in to gear on. I've had updates from everyone else there who was up for contract renewal. They've all walked. Basically they were asked to provide evidence of their IR35 deemed payments as anyone working there is to be subject to IR35. This is much worse than I was expecting.

I've now seen the jobs coming up on jobserve etc, and they are offering 5 months contracts, presumably to get around the 6 months issue, as offering less than £220 a day wasn't really an option, LOL. But that isn't really what the treasury were hoping for. Not being able to take on contract staff for more than 5 months is a bit of a stifler to any projects that might need 6 or 7 months of effort to complete. Like pretty much any project I've worked on in the last 20 years. This sort of stupidity will be hitting the news over the next year or two as project after project will now fail due to not keeping any one with any idea of what the system is meant to do long enough.

Good luck UK. We're gonna need it. As an earlier poster said - buy guns. I've worked at HMRC before and they also have lots of contractors, so I assume a government that won't be able to collect its taxes fairly soonish will become non functional. Maybe once they realise what they've done to their own projects, they'll have to do some back tracking and lighten up a bit on the rules. Or get used to paying out more on the rates to leave us with similar take home to private sectors gigs.

Personally I've decided to become a gigolo and enjoy getting screwed. Plus as a cash based business I'm definitely outside IR35.

I think its about time people started realising your fair share - as a higher earner who gets the same level of public service as a lower earner, doesn't mean you have to pay a higher percentage. A higher pounds note amount will do nicely. 30%of 100k is a lot more pounds contributed than 30% of £30k. (Yes it is that obvious!)

If the gov really want to avert a meltdown, they need to go to a flat rate tax. 10k basic tax free allowance and then 30% on everything else. If you are earning 20k that works about net rate of 20%. It's not until you get into the higher figures you get anything approaching the 30% figure.
        Signed sealed and delivered.

Comment

Originally posted by IR35FanClub View Post
          A quick update on this. The public sector is screwed. I was working at a public sector gig and left because I could see where this was heading and I have plan B, C and D to get in to gear on. I've had updates from everyone else there who was up for contract renewal. They've all walked. Basically they were asked to provide evidence of their IR35 deemed payments as anyone working there is to be subject to IR35. This is much worse than I was expecting.

I've now seen the jobs coming up on jobserve etc, and they are offering 5 months contracts, presumably to get around the 6 months issue, as offering less than £220 a day wasn't really an option, LOL. But that isn't really what the treasury were hoping for. Not being able to take on contract staff for more than 5 months is a bit of a stifler to any projects that might need 6 or 7 months of effort to complete. Like pretty much any project I've worked on in the last 20 years. This sort of stupidity will be hitting the news over the next year or two as project after project will now fail due to not keeping any one with any idea of what the system is meant to do long enough.

Good luck UK. We're gonna need it. As an earlier poster said - buy guns. I've worked at HMRC before and they also have lots of contractors, so I assume a government that won't be able to collect its taxes fairly soonish will become non functional. Maybe once they realise what they've done to their own projects, they'll have to do some back tracking and lighten up a bit on the rules. Or get used to paying out more on the rates to leave us with similar take home to private sectors gigs.

Personally I've decided to become a gigolo and enjoy getting screwed. Plus as a cash based business I'm definitely outside IR35.

I think its about time people started realising your fair share - as a higher earner who gets the same level of public service as a lower earner, doesn't mean you have to pay a higher percentage. A higher pounds note amount will do nicely. 30%of 100k is a lot more pounds contributed than 30% of £30k. (Yes it is that obvious!)

If the gov really want to avert a meltdown, they need to go to a flat rate tax. 10k basic tax free allowance and then 30% on everything else. If you are earning 20k that works about net rate of 20%. It's not until you get into the higher figures you get anything approaching the 30% figure.

what govt dept was that?

Has anyone heard what the home offices position is, I have been contacted about a role there but a bit nervous about starting somewhere like that now

Comment

Originally posted by Butcheroo View Post
            what govt dept was that?

Has anyone heard what the home offices position is, I have been contacted about a role there but a bit nervous about starting somewhere like that now
            Probably the same as any other. The rules make it the responsibility of a very senior civil servant to ensure everyone pays their "fair share of tax" hence the cack handed sledgehammer approach.

The government knew that a heavy handed approach was the only way to resolve the problem they had but as I said yesterday they failed to understand that a set of essential experts legitimately used that approach.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I've been telling agents who contact me for the last 2 months that I don't apply for public sector contracts.

Very satisfying.
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

And I've read somewhere else on the forum that HMRC themselves and the Foreign Office (and I suspect certain clients in the Cheltenham area) are to be exempted from these rules due to their 'special' nature.

Anyone heard anymore about that?
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I've been telling agents who contact me for the last 2 months that I don't apply for public sector contracts.

Very satisfying.
                  I have been saying that for a month of so but this one is a cracker. Is contracting for public sector going to put you on their radar easier. Hopefully they will concentrate on the bbc for a while lol

Comment

And I've read somewhere else on the forum that HMRC themselves and the Foreign Office (and I suspect certain clients in the Cheltenham area) are to be exempted from these rules due to their 'special' nature.

Anyone heard anymore about that?
                    Do you have any documentation about that. My MP (a labour one who is very pro IR35) would have a field day with that and I'd happily give her the info.

- note this is not because I am pro IR35 just think that HMRC especially should follow the same rules as everyone else and this level of double standards is so blatant everyone else will have a field day over it.
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Butcheroo View Post
                      what govt dept was that?

It's one of the sub agencies / Quangos of BIS.
                      Signed sealed and delivered.

Comment

Working...
                      X