• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Does anyone else feel like they are being financially ripped by the tax-man

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mockedguy View Post
    There is a MASSIVE difference in the skill set and services contractors supply and permies who are just waiting for the clock to reach 5pm each day.
    Is there? - I think that depends on your client
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

'Mock' is a technical term used in software development. You must understand nothing about software design, development, testing, DevOps, etc and are judging that there is no difference between 'contractors' and 'employees'. There is a MASSIVE difference in the skill set and services contractors supply and permies who are just waiting for the clock to reach 5pm each day.
      No there isn't (sadly). We've plenty of threads on here about contractors clocking off at 5PM. Your knowledge of the contracting market appears to be as bad as mine is around software development.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        No there isn't (sadly). We've plenty of threads on here about contractors clocking off at 5PM. Your knowledge of the contracting market appears to be as bad as mine is around software development.
        So what profession do you contract in? I think for some professions what you are saying is quite correct, but for others it definitely isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          Is there? - I think that depends on your client
          So what profession do you contract in? I think for some professions what you are saying is quite correct, but for others it definitely isn't.

Comment

IT including software development - you get good people and bad people everywhere...

Comment

IT including software development - you get good people and bad people everywhere...
              Apart from SimonMac, have you ever worked with good people?

Comment

IT is an industry, not a profession.

Comment

IT is an industry, not a profession.
                  So what profession are you in as it's clearly not IT for that's an industry in your world...

and software development is not a profession. A profession will have an institute that issues chartered memberships and the British Computer Society covers all of IT...

Comment

So what profession are you in as it's clearly not IT for that's an industry in your world...

and software development is not a profession. A profession will have an institute that issues chartered memberships and the British Computer Society covers all of IT...
                    I have been developing software commercially for over 35 years, have designed, built and coded systems (software) for H.M. depts, military systems numerous times (not just UK), Banks - Risk Management systems, an intra-bank transfer system (where the smallest transfer was 200 million), an internet banking website (where MS Security taught us how to hack websites so we could code against it), a ISP for Dept of Education (where MS rang us up and wanted to know how we did it), Insurance companies, only recently I built a system (by myself) that won a £40m contact for a client, and many many more. I have been through all the responsibility and stress of architecting and coding solutions that you have to get exactly right, and leading teams to build something that works. Most of the above were built by highly experienced contractors while hand holding perm employees who were incapable of doing it themselves. There is a massive difference between the services contractors offer and being a perm employee. HMRC are undermining people who do this. I, like others, are now seriously considering going overseas again to work because of the IR35 changes.

I would like to understand why certain people on here who keep saying that contractors are really just employees in disguise. I think it varies by profession, and maybe they are in a different profession.
                    Last edited by mockedguy; 19 March 2020, 15:16.

Comment

#bored

Any chance we can get back to an interesting topic?
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X