• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Interesting client/agency contradiction

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting client/agency contradiction

My client is a major international bank, let's call it BigBank. MyCo is engaged via their in-house sourcing partner, I'll call them ResourceCo.

BigBank sent out a document to all managers explaining how they should go through the SDS for their staff using CEST and some of the details are very interesting when juxtaposed with the ResourceCo contract. Bear in mind this contract has just been revised to fit in with the post-April legislation.

Response below are paraphrased to protect the guilty

CEST question:
    Has the worker ever sent a substitute to do the work? Do you have the right to reject a substitute?

BigBank guidance doc:
    No, definitely no substitutes

ResourceCo contract:
    Yes, the contractor can provide a substitute

CEST question:
    If your organisation was not happy with the work, would the worker have to put it right?

BigBank guidance doc:
    They certainly wouldn't have to do it unpaid (i.e. answers "Yes, unpaid and they would have extra costs that your organization would not pay for" and "Yes, unpaid but their only cost would be losing the opportunity to do other work" don't apply)

ResourceCo contract:
    Yes they would, at their own cost and in their own time

I'm leaving in a few weeks anyway, so it really doesn't affect me, but I find it depressingly unsurprising that the resourcing company, who should know exactly what the client expects from contract staff, blindly ignores that and puts what it thinks a contractor wants to see in their contract, which has been altered for use post-April. Is it any wonder some contractors think they're OK for IR35 when this kind of garbage is still going on even with all the palaver about the new off-payroll rules?

Mumble, grumble, hmmmph

Testing
    Last edited by redman123; 3 November 2021, 10:36.

Comment

Originally posted by Snooky View Post
      My client is a major international bank, let's call it BigBank. MyCo is engaged via their in-house sourcing partner, I'll call them ResourceCo.

BigBank sent out a document to all managers explaining how they should go through the SDS for their staff using CEST and some of the details are very interesting when juxtaposed with the ResourceCo contract. Bear in mind this contract has just been revised to fit in with the post-April legislation.

Response below are paraphrased to protect the guilty

CEST question:
      Has the worker ever sent a substitute to do the work? Do you have the right to reject a substitute?

BigBank guidance doc:
      No, definitely no substitutes

ResourceCo contract:
      Yes, the contractor can provide a substitute

CEST question:
      If your organisation was not happy with the work, would the worker have to put it right?

BigBank guidance doc:
      They certainly wouldn't have to do it unpaid (i.e. answers "Yes, unpaid and they would have extra costs that your organization would not pay for" and "Yes, unpaid but their only cost would be losing the opportunity to do other work" don't apply)

ResourceCo contract:
      Yes they would, at their own cost and in their own time

I'm leaving in a few weeks anyway, so it really doesn't affect me, but I find it depressingly unsurprising that the resourcing company, who should know exactly what the client expects from contract staff, blindly ignores that and puts what it thinks a contractor wants to see in their contract, which has been altered for use post-April. Is it any wonder some contractors think they're OK for IR35 when this kind of garbage is still going on even with all the palaver about the new off-payroll rules?

Mumble, grumble, hmmmph
      No better anywhere else - expect a year on the bench

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

So the agent is just regurgitating what they know about making a contract outside with no knowledge or regard what the client wants.
        This is not news. It's this disconnect that's caused the reasons for investigations and change to legislation. I'll bet this disconnect is happening in a vast majority of client/agent contracts.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

If an agency can get it so wrong imagine how wrong a contractor's CEST can be...

Comment

I had a similar thing - the client answers had contradicted the contract (and I'm direct) and issued a caught SDS. It wasn't my client point of contact that did this, it was the client HR and a senior manager I'd only spoken to in passing.

I pointed it out to the client reasonably forcibly that they were ignoring the contract which more accurately reflected the relationship - and how would they react if their own clients ignored clauses in their own contracts? I also rebutted the SDS point by point.

Still not heard anything back. Expecting to be walked off site before 6th April as have already refused to work inside.
            ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
              I had a similar thing - the client answers had contradicted the contract (and I'm direct) and issued a caught SDS. It wasn't my client point of contact that did this, it was the client HR and a senior manager I'd only spoken to in passing.

I pointed it out to the client reasonably forcibly that they were ignoring the contract which more accurately reflected the relationship - and how would they react if their own clients ignored clauses in their own contracts? I also rebutted the SDS point by point.

Still not heard anything back. Expecting to be walked off site before 6th April as have already refused to work inside.
              It may not help you in the short term but maybe the client will take a closer look at the contracts their agencies are issuing and reconsider their approach.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                It may not help you in the short term but maybe the client will take a closer look at the contracts their agencies are issuing and reconsider their approach.
                He said he's direct.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  So the agent is just regurgitating what they know about making a contract outside with no knowledge or regard what the client wants.
                  This is not news. It's this disconnect that's caused the reasons for investigations and change to legislation. I'll bet this disconnect is happening in a vast majority of client/agent contracts.
                  What's the risk for a contractor, post 6th Apr, of ending up being in a contract with this kind of discrepancies?

I mean

1) the contract between client and agency clearly says "inside"
                  2) the contract between the agency and the contractor says "outside" (same as the opening on whatever website)
                  3) the contractor accept the job and signs the "outside" agency's contract
                  4) the contractor does not know anything about the client <-> agency contract

An investigation comes: what would happen next?

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyk View Post
                    What's the risk for a contractor, post 6th Apr, of ending up being in a contract with this kind of discrepancies?

I mean

1) the contract between client and agency clearly says "inside"
                    2) the contract between the agency and the contractor says "outside" (same as the opening on whatever website)
                    3) the contractor accept the job and signs the "outside" agency's contract
                    4) the contractor does not know anything about the client <-> agency contract

An investigation comes: what would happen next?
                    If the client <-> agency contract clearly says inside then the client will have issued an inside SDS so there will be no potential for inside/outside confusion based upon misaligned contracts.

If they were spectacularly stupid enough (client) to issue an outside SDS when the terms of the client <-> agency contract were clearly inside then the issue sits with the client.

Comment

Working...
                    X